One of the best things about going on a keto diet is that you can experiment with textures and flavors. For instance, in this keto chili recipe, the traditional chili beans are replaced by smoked sausage, which makes it low carb and gives it a hearty mouth feel.
Although this recipe calls for smoked sausage, smoked food is not really healthy. The process of wood smoking can leave toxic deposits (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) on the food which are considered carcinogenic so you may want to use unsmoked sausage. Certainly, it’s best not to eat a lot of smoked food.
Tara Wright, an International Certified Health Coach says
The secret to this Keto Chili recipe turning out with wonderful flavors is twofold. First, cook with high-quality ingredients. Second, make sure your ingredients are fresh. If you have spices sitting around that have been there for years. Do me a favor. Toss them. Yup. All of them.
This keto chili recipe from Whole Body Living freezes perfectly. Therefore, you can cook up a big batch over the weekend and divide it into various size portions to be kept in the freezer for future meals. You can even use it as a topping for salads along with sour cream and cheese for a satisfying and healthy lunch. So here are the ingredients and the instructions on how to prepare this delicious keto recipe.
Tasty Keto Chili Recipe
Makes 8 servings
• 2 pounds grass-fed beef
• 1 large chopped onion
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 3 Jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and chopped
• 4 chopped garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• Dash of ground cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon coconut Aminos
• 6 ounces of organic tomato paste
• 14 ounces diced organic tomatoes with green chili (2 BPA free cans)
• 1/2 cup good quality avocado oil
• 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
• 3 to 4 links of smoked sausage (14 ounces) (unsmoked is healthier)
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
• Using a medium pan or Dutch oven, heat the avocado oil for a few minutes.
• Next, add all of the ground spices to the oil and cook them for a few minutes.
• Add the chopped red bell pepper, onion, Jalapeño chili pepper, and the chopped garlic cloves. Simmer for five minutes until the onions start to become translucent. Add the sausage links and cook for up to five minutes.
• Add half of the ground beef while working in chunks. Use a spoon to chop up the ground beef into smaller pieces. Pour in the coconut Aminos and cook for three to five minutes. Do the same thing for the other half of the ground beef.
• Cook the ingredients for about ten minutes or until all the pink ground beef turns brown.
• Add the tomato paste along with the diced tomatoes and stirring carefully.
• Reduce the heat and simmer the keto chili for up to 2 hours.
• Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream.
When fresh produce is not readily available such as during the winter months, consider using the dried or frozen ingredient alternatives. This is also a great option for those who do not like chopping.
If you want to further reduce the number of carbs in this recipe use half the amount of tomato paste and tomatoes.
Check out the entire process of preparing this delicious keto recipe in this video:
Want more low carb keto recipes?