Asparagus is one of those vegetables that is ideal for the keto diet and other low carb diets, thanks to its low carbohydrate content of only 3.8 grams per 100g. What’s more, asparagus has a unique flavor you either love or hate.
It contains vital nutrients like folate, chromium, betacarotene, vitamin C, and glutathione, a potent antioxidant. Chromium is a trace mineral that can be low in people who eat processed food. This important mineral enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. Asparagus contains a good amount of fiber too, which is often lacking in low carb diets.
Related reading: What Are the Best Low Carb Vegetables?
You can cook asparagus in many ways, or simply make a salad out of it! This asparagus, egg and bacon salad is ideal for breakfast, lunch and even dinner! It’s easy to prepare and only takes less than 10 minutes of your time. Here’s the tasty recipe from Gina Homolka, recipe developer over at Skinnytaste with a few refinements of mine.
Low Carb Asparagus, Egg and Bacon Salad
• 1 large size, peeled and sliced free range or organic hard boiled egg
• 1 2/3 cups of chopped asparagus
• ½ tsp. of Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
• 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 2 slices of cooked organic, nitrate free bacon,
• Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Boil a pot of water and add the asparagus or steam. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until they become tender but firm.
• Drain the water from the pot or remove from steamer and plunge into ice cold filtered water to prevent the asparagus from being cooked further and to retain the bright green color.
• In a small bowl, prepare the vinaigrette. Mix the oil, Dijon mustard, vinegar, and the salt and pepper.
• Arrange the cooked asparagus in a plate. Top with the sliced boiled eggs and bacon.
• Drizzle with the vinaigrette, serve, and enjoy!
Here’s a video of the recipe:
Want more low carb recipes? Try these: