Cabbage is a really healthy vegetable that does not get the attention it deserves. If you think you don’t like cabbage then do try this recipe for Low Carb Braised Cabbage with Goat’s Cheese and I think you’ll be surprised.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable which means it’s good for your liver. It contains natural plant chemicals that stimulate both Phase 1 and 2 detoxification enzymes in the liver and the gut to help keep you healthy.
This dish is simple and easy to make but it goes well with some plainer meat dishes. The goats cheese, hazelnuts and parsley oil transform it into something more special.
The recipe is based on one that I saw in a weekend magazine produced by Waitrose one
of the UK’s supermarkets.
Low Carb Braised Cabbage with Goats’ Cheese
Serves: 4 as a side dish
- 40g grass-fed butter
- 1 pointed spring cabbage, outer leaves removed, halved length ways
- 200ml fresh vegetable stock
- 60g goats’ cheese
- 40g good quality hazelnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1. Put the butter in a large saucepan and place over a medium-high heat. When the
butter is sizzling, add the cabbage placing it cut-side down.
2. Fry for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden. Pour in the stock and cover with a lid.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 16-20 minutes until tender. Test with a
3. While the cabbage is cooking mix together the olive oil, crushed garlic and parsley
and set aside.
4. Remove the cabbage and place on a large serving plate. You can keep any stock for
soup. Cut out the cores from each cabbage half and break the leaves apart. Season well
with the salt and pepper and spread the cabbage leaves out over the plate.
5. Scatter the goats’ cheese and hazelnuts on top. Drizzle the parsley oil over the
top and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This Low Carb Braised Cabbage dish would be good to serve with any of the main meal Keto Friendly recipes for Easter that I compiled.