Salads are a great option for lunch or used as a side dish to your favorite meal. A lot of people would think of salad as a bowl of lettuce leaves or traditional diet food that will leave you feeling unsatisfied and deprived. But that is not always the case. This low carb broccoli salad recipe is not only bursting with flavors but also filled with nutrients, ideal for your low carb or keto diet.
Broccoli is filling and so very, very healthy. It’s full of vital nutrients especially phytonutrients These are natural plant chemicals, that may help lower inflammation and reduce the risk of developing cancer. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable so contains substances that help enhance the liver detox system. Your detox system needs all the help it can get these days to detox toxic chemicals can cause weight gain.
Related reading: Boost Your Weight Loss Efforts With Veggies
This broccoli salad is perfect for summer. It can pair well with grilled chicken, burgers, or any summer dish of your choice. You can have it for your weeknight dinner or during a picnic or beach outing! Here’s the tasty versatile recipe from Kathleen Hart who recreates food to suit her low carb lifestyle. I have made a few small alterations to make it even healthier.
Low Carb Broccoli Salad Recipe
• 1 medium-sized white or red onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup flaked almonds
• 3 tbsp fresh chopped chives
• 6 cups raw broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces (lightly steamed if preferred)
• 8 slices organic or nitrite free bacon
• 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
• Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp. of a natural sweetener of your choice
• If you don’t like raw broccoli then you can steam it for a few minutes to soften and plunge into iced water right away to keep the green color.
• Cook the bacon until crispy. Leave the bacon to cool and break them apart or chop into small pieces.
• In a large bowl, combine the raw or gently steamed cooled broccoli, almonds, onions, and bacon.
• In another bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk well to combine. Season with salt & pepper.
• Pour the dressing onto the broccoli salad and mix well. Refrigerate overnight or for a several hours to let the flavors combine but serve at room temperature.
• Garnish with the chopped chives and sprinkle with a little paprika before serving.
Here’s a video of the recipe:
Want more low carb recipes? Take a look at the ones below: