Nuts and seeds are some of the best foods that you can include in your low-carb, keto diet. They are rich in nutrients, low in protein, and high in healthy fats. Now the good news is, you can actually make chocolate desserts with seeds! This amazing Low Carb Chocolate Seed Treat Recipe (aka as chocolate seed bark) from Dr Berg is extremely easy to prepare, and if you both love seeds and chocolate, then you’ll surely be in for a treat!
Related reading: Best Nuts to Eat On A Keto Diet
You may be wondering how chocolate is allowed as part of a low carb or keto diet but researchers claim that dark chocolate can help with weight loss. One study involved 975 men and women, aged 20 to 85. Half the participants ate low carb dark chocolate daily. The other half did not eat any chocolate. Both groups did the same amount of exercising. The result was that the dark chocolate eaters ended up with a lower body mass index (BMI) than the chocolate-avoiders even though they ate more daily calories.
More research by American Chemical Society in 2012 on the health benefits of chocolate and cocoa concluded that dark chocolate helps weight loss and reduces cholesterol. So it seems that dark chocolate is your friend. Best to choose dark chocolate made from at least 70% cocoa solids though with no added sugar. Always best to check the label for net carbs and hidden carbs to be on the safe side.
Low Carb Chocolate Seed Treat Recipe
• 5 cups seeds (half salted and roasted sunflower seeds and half salted and roasted pumpkin seeds)
• 9 oz. dark chocolate chips, Stevia sweetened (zero calorie sweetener) or 3 chocolate bars
• 1 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
• Pinch of Himalayan salt, if your seeds are not salted
• Carefully melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a small bowl over simmering water and add the coconut oil.
• Mix the melted chocolate and coconut with the seeds. Add the vanilla extract. If your nuts are not salted, then add a pinch of salt. Mix well.
• Line a tray with parchment paper and spread mixture evenly in the tray.
• Place in the freezer and freeze for 15 min to an hour. Peel from the parchment paper and break apart into pieces. Store in a cool, dry place.
Watch this video to see exactly how Dr. Berg prepares this delicious low carb Chocolate Seed Treat recipe.
Want more low carb recipes? Here are some delicious ones: