Thanks to its high content of heart-healthy fats, avocados are a great addition to a ketogenic diet. It is for this reason that avocado soup is so popular among followers of the diet.
You will find many versions of avocado soup online, but this raw food recipe from Keto Meals and Recipes includes basil and cucumber, which makes it healthier and tastier.
Benefits of avocado
The avocado is often referred to as a superfood because of the amount of nutrients it contains. It’s the only fruit that has a high fat content that is good for your heart.
People following a low carb or keto diet tend to eat a lot of avocados because they are so healthy and very satisfying and low in net carbs. Their creamy texture and mild flavor means they can be made into a lot of different dishes.
Benefits of cucumber
Both cucumbers and basil are ideal for a low carb diet. One serving of cucumber contains only 2 grams of carbs. Cucumbers are 95 percent water so are very hydrating.
They are a good sources of phytonutrients and contain small amounts of vitamin K, vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, manganese and beta-carotene.
Cucumber juice is popular now among followers of the Anthony William who says fresh cucumber juice is the best rejuvenation tonic in the world.
Benefits of basil leaves
Basil, a member of the mint family, is a great source of nutrients, such as pro-vitamin A and C, Vitamin K, iron, manganese, calcium, and magnesium. The leaves also contains a high level of eugenol, an antioxidant.
There are many varieties of basil which include: sweet basil, lemon basil, Italian or curly basil, holy basil, Thai basil and lettuce-leaf basil. The one most often found in supermarkets that we use in the preparation of dishes is sweet basil.
Basil has a number of reputed health benefits although there are few scientific human studies to back up the claims. The studies that do exist used basil extracts.
The benefits range from reducing stress, blood pressure and blood sugar to improving memory and mental alertness. You would have to eat a lot of basil leaves regularly to get the benefits.
Basil makes this blender soup very tasty and it’s very easy to prepare. You just heat the broth and place all ingredients in a blender, then blend them for a few minutes!
Although you can heat the soup ideally it should be eaten cold to preserve the nutrient content of the raw ingredients.
If you like avocado soup then you might want to try this Low Carb Chilled Avocado Soup Recipe as well.
Avocado Soup with Basil and Cucumber
Makes 8 servings (2.8 net carbs per serving)
- 2 cups peeled avocados
- 4 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups (250 g) peeled and cubed English cucumbers
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (organic if possible)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 cup cold filtered water
- 3 tbsp white onion
- 3 tbsp fresh organic lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 3 cups chicken bone broth
1. Heat the chicken bone broth until it simmers. Allow to cool a little.
2. Then place the broth in the blender along with the other ingredients.
3. Blend for 3 to 5 minutes until nice and smooth.
4. If you’d prefer your avocado soup cold, transfer it into a mason jar and store in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours before serving. Enjoy!
5. If you want to eat this blender soup warm, simply warm it gently to a temperature that you like.
Check out this video on how to prepare this delicious and healthy avocado soup.