This keto-friendly chocolate banana cake recipe is easy to put together, and fifteen minutes is all you need to prepare it. Banana cake is actually a bit of a misnomer because this recipe being keto does not contain any bananas. It gets the taste of bananas from banana flavoring.
It’s main ingredeints are almond flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, and butter. It has the perfect ratio of wet and dry ingredients, which gives it a wonderfully moist texture.
Add the frosting, and you’ll have a luscious chocolate banana flavored cake that fits well into your keto diet. This keto chocolate banana cake recipe from Gerri of My Keto Kitchen yields 16 slices and each slice has 3g net carbs.
This recipe calls for granulated erythritol, a low carb sweetener, an alternative to regular sugar which has to be avoided on a keto or low carb diet.
Related reading: 6 Damaging Effects Of Sugar On Your Body
Most erythritol is made from GMO corn and if you want to avoid that then Wholesome Sweeteners is an organic, zero calorie erythritol which is non GMO.
It has more certifications than any other sweetener. It is Fair Trade Certified, Organic Certified, Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher Certified, and Keto Certified.
Cocoa powder and pesticides
I recommend that you use organic cocoa powder and try to get organic chocolate chips because regular chocolate and cocoa powder can contain pesticide residues.
Cocoa beans are subject to a massive amount of pests so farming methods uses one of the highest volume of synthetic and toxic pesticides. Poor farmers often ignore restrictions and get banned pesticides on the black market.
So for better health all round it’s best to buy mostly organic ingredients where you can.
Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
- 2 cups of almond flour
- ½ cup granulated erythritol
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 3 large organic/pastured Eggs
- ½ cup grass-fed unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsps. banana flavoring
- 1 tsp. natural vanilla extract
- pinch Redmond real salt
- Preheat your oven to 175C/350F. Line an 8in square cake pan with non-bleached parchment paper and set aside.
2. Put the sweetener and butter in a mixing bowl and using a hand mixer on medium speed cream together until very smooth.
3. Add the eggs, banana flavoring, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4. Sift in the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Using a spatula fold into the mixture until combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into your prepared pan smoothing out the top. Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched on the top.
6. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 min before transferring it onto a cooling rack. Set aside and leave it to cool completely.
7. Next, prepare the frosting. Place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the sugar-free milk chocolate chips and heat until the chocolate chips are about 70% melted. Remove from heat and continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
8. Add the sour cream and banana flavoring. Using the whisk attachment or the hand mixer whip them until they form a thick and velvety texture.
9. Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
10. Cut into 16 slices, serve, and enjoy!
Check out Geri’s video demo of how to prepare this delicious chocolate banana cake recipe.