A flatbread can be a staple in your low carb or keto diet as long as you prepare it wisely. Thankfully, there are a few recipes out there for low carb flatbread, such as this Easy Keto Flatbread Recipe.
From the name itself you will gather that this recipe is absolutely easy to prepare! Made with almond flour and lots of mozzarella cheese and herbs, this delectable flatbread from Peggy who tests recipes at A Real Kitchin is absolutely keto-friendly.
You can serve it with more or less any keto dish or spread with your favorite low carb dip or simply spread with some grass-fed butter.
Related reading: Does Grass-Fed Butter Help With Weight Loss?
Microwaving food – good or bad?
I have to say that I am not a fan of microwaving any food. I threw my microwave out years ago. There are many studies that say it does not alter the nutrients in food but I did see a study some years ago, which I can’t find now, which showed that fatty acids in pumpkin seeds were altered by microwaving.
I know that the fats in pumpkin seeds are not the same as the fats in cheese but I don’t want to take any chances.
And, although the study was done on rats, some Nigerian researchers came to the conclusion in a 2017 published study that eating microwaved food resulted in a significant decrease in antioxidant protection of the animals. The same is assumed to be true of humans.
Microwaves and increased microwaving time resulted to a significant reduction in SOD, CAT, vitamin A and E in fed rats. Therefore our study demonstrated that consumption of microwaved foods resulted in a significant decrease in antioxidant protection and may be implicated in the pathogenesis of oxidative stress and degenerative diseases.
If you don’t want to microwave the cheese or do not have a microwave oven the best way to melt the cheeses is in a double boiler or in a pan over some boiling water.
Plastic fibers in salt!
I have made a few tweaks to the recipe as usual to make it even healthier. I have specified Himalayan salt instead of regular salt because sea salt contains plastic fibers these days and no one knows yet what they will do to you.
So, it’s best to use salt from ancient sea beds such as Himalayan salt that will not contain plastic particles.
It’s always better to use organic produce wherever possible.
If you want an alternative to low carb bread made with almond flour then try this Gluten Free, Low Carb Coconut Flour Bread Recipe
Easy Keto Flatbread Recipe
• ¼ cup almond flour
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 tbsp. organic cream cheese
• 1 large organic egg, beaten
• 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves, minced
• ½ tsp. dried oregano
• ½ tsp. dried thyme
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350F (175C approx) and line a baking tray with non-bleached parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized microwaveable bowl combine the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Microwave in 30-second intervals. Stir in between, until such time that the cheese is fully melted and produces a smooth consistency. This should take up to a minute.
Alternatively you can melt the cheeses in a heat proof bowl over boiling water or in a double boiler.
3. Let the cheese mixture cool for a few minutes so the egg does not scramble. Then add the almond flour, egg, garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are combined thoroughly.
4. Place the mixture on the baking sheet. Flatten the dough evenly onto the sheet. It should have a thickness of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
5. Bake for about 10 to 15 min or until its golden brown.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s a video demo of the recipe: