In only a few days, it will be St. Patrick’s Day, which explains why so many people are searching for an Irish Coffee recipe. For those who are not aware, Saint Patrick is probably the most revered patron saint of Ireland.
The day, which is a religious holiday in Ireland, is often celebrated by people of Irish descent all over the world but especially by Irish Americans. Many Americans like to celebrate by serving meals that have become traditional.
Corned beef and cabbage is a favorite although ham or bacon is more traditional in Ireland because beef was scarce and a luxury in Ireland. Other dishes that are served in Ireland include Irish stew, soda bread, potatoes and a good cup of Irish coffee.
You can find recipes for low carb Corned beef, Keto Irish stew and Keto Soda Bread in my roundup of some delicious St. Patrick’s Day Recipes.
You’ll find several versions for Irish Coffee recipe online, but this recipe from the Keto King is made specifically for keto dieters. The traditional recipe calls for Bailey’s Irish cream, which is loaded with carbs, but this Irish coffee recipe uses a low carb Irish whiskey.
Related reading: 5 Amazing Health Benefits of a Keto Diet
Irish Coffee Recipe
- 1/3-cup sweetener such as this organic Monkfruit Sweetener
- 5 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. organic instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (organic if possible)
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of Irish Whiskey
- Extra cream for topping (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, combine the sweetener, cocoa, and espresso powder.
2. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream to the mixture using a whisk to combine.
3. Bring the ingredients to a boil very slowly then lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10 to 15 minutes to reduce the mixture.
4. Remove pan from the heat.
5. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes then add the almond and vanilla extracts. Add the Irish whiskey a little at a time tasting as you go until you achieve the taste you like. Leave to cool.
6. Transfer in a glass bottle with a lid and store in the fridge until you want to use it. Simply pour the mixture into Bailey’s or other suitable glasses and sip slowly. Enjoy!
You can pour some extra cream on the top if you really want to be decadent! You may like this recipe so much that you will make it regularly!
Check out this video demo of how to prepare this low carb Irish Coffee recipe.
5 tsp of cocoa is way too much chocolate!
Way to much for what? Does it make it too strong a flavor? How much would you say is ideal? It’s not my recipe and I haven’t tried it myself as it would be too high in histamine for me. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Holistic Nutritionist & Health Coach