Filling up with lean protein is important when you’re the keto way of eating, which is why followers of the diet are always looking for a keto chicken breast recipe that they can follow.
Sure, you’ll find plenty of chicken breast recipes that are keto-friendly online. But if you want a delicious recipe that’s quick and easy to prepare, this keto chicken breast recipe in creamy pesto sauce from Sahil Makhija of Headbanger’s Kitchen is well worth trying.
This keto chicken breast recipe consists of two parts. First is the keto pesto sauce, which you can make in only 5 minutes. Then the other part is the chicken breast, which should only take around 15 minutes of your time.
This recipe is for one but you can easily make it for two by using two chicken breasts. There would be enough sauce for the two but you could double the recipe for the keto pesto and keep any left over in the fridge to use as a condiment for another dish.
Use other proteins
Instead of chicken you can make this dish with beef or pork and even make it vegetarian by using paneer. This is a non melting cheese that is popular in India and has a fairly high level of fat and proteins so is ideal for a keto diet.
It’s best to use organic or free range chicken for the recipe as you will get a better flavor and the meat will be more nutritious. Chickens that are reared outside get a better diet than caged intensively reared birds.
Don’t fry with olive oil
Personally I would not use olive oil for frying at a high temperature as Sahil does because heating it can destroy its health benefits. I’ve substituted avocado oil as it can be heated to a higher temperature than olive oil. You could also use coconut oil.
More Keto & Low Carb Chicken recipes
Here are some more keto and low carb chicken recipes for you:
Easy Low Carb Pesto Chicken and Asparagus Recipe
Low Carb Oven Baked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders
Keto Thai Grilled Chicken Recipe
Low Carb Spicy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe
Easy Keto Cashew Chicken
Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Keto Chicken Breast Recipe
Keto Pesto Sauce
- 30 g Parmesan cheese
- 20 g pine nuts
- 5 g fresh garlic
- 30 g parsley
- 50 g basil
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Organic lime or lemon juice
- Himalayan salt to taste
1. Grate the Parmesan and blend with the garlic and pine nuts until smooth.
2. Add the basil, parsley, olive oil, lime or lemon juice, and salt.
3. Blend again until it turns into a smooth paste.
Keto Chicken Breast
- 1 skinless and boneless organic or free range chicken breast
- 30 g organic cheese
- 50 ml of organic cream
- Himalayan salt and
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- Cayenne pepper
1. Beat the chicken breast to an even thickness flat using the flat head of a meat mallet. When the meat is flattened, season both sides with salt & pepper and add the cayenne pepper.
2. Heat the avocado oil in a pan. Fry the chicken breast on high heat for 2 min each side. Remove from the pan, place on a plate and keep warm.
3. Pour a little water to the pan to deglaze. Add the keto pesto sauce that you have prepared and add more seasoning.
4. Add the cream and cheese. Cook until everything is blended well.
5. Add any juices from the chicken that have accumulated while resting to the creamy sauce.
6. Slice the chicken and pour over the keto pesto sauce.
7. Serve with a nice green salad or some low carb vegetables. Enjoy!
Here’s is Sahil’s video demo of how to prepare this keto chicken breast recipe.