One of the great things about following the low carb diet like keto is that you can still indulge in delicious foods that you can also share with the entire family! Unlike other diets where you’re only limited to eating certain foods, a low carb diet will not deprive you of your favorite treats. For instance, this cheesy and delicious Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a great dish that everyone will love, including little ones! It’s very delicious, healthy, and absolutely keto-friendly.
The recipe is from CJ’s Keto Kitchen. Both CJ and Sarah, the founders, have lost 50 – 60 lbs, and lost a considerable amount of inches on the keto diet. Sarah went down 5 pant sizes! I think that is a tremendous achievement don’t you?
A few notes about this recipe:
Firstly, the original recipe calls for microwaving the cauliflower but since research shows that the antioxidants in broccoli are destroyed when micowaved I assume that the same would happen to cauliflower. Cauliflower provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer so you don’t want to destroy them do you?
Secondly, the recipe calls for an optional ingredient “Hatch” Green Chiles. In case you don’t know they are a variety which are grown in the Hatch Valley, New Mexico. Hatch chiles are said to offer both heat and sweetness. They range in heat level from mild to extra hot so you are sure find some that suit your taste.
Want to learn more about a Keto Diet? Get the FREE Keto KickStart!
It’s the brain child of Dr Anthony Gustin, a sports chiropractor and Functional Medicine practitioner, that will give you everything you need to start and stick to the ketogenic diet so you can take back your health, lose the extra pounds, and feel your absolute best. Click here to check it out now.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
• 24 ounce frozen cauliflower florets (you can use 2 x 12 oz steamable bags
• 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (organic preferably – 4 chicken breasts approx)
• 8 ounce softened organic cream cheese
• 8 ounce Green Salsa Verde
• 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
• 1 can of Hatch Green Chiles, optional
• 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (coriander), chopped
• 1/2 cup organic sour cream
Prepare the chicken and cauliflower mixture:
1. Cook and soften the cauliflower in a steamer. Place in a large bowl.
2. Combine the cooked cauliflower with the shredded chicken and mix well together. Set aside .
Prepare the cream cheese mixture:
1. Add the softened cream cheese to a separate bowl and pour in 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
2. Mix the sour cream and softened cream cheese together until they produce a smooth texture.
3. Add a cup of green salsa to the sour cream and cream cheese mixture and stir well.
4. Combine the sour cream and cream cheese mixture with the chicken and cauliflower mixture and mix well using a spoon.
5. Add a can of Hatch Green Chiles and fresh chopped cilantro. Stir well.
Final assembly and cooking:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 ovenproof dish with a little coconut oil. Pour half of the casserole mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
3. Add a cup of the Monterey Jack cheese and spread evenly.
4. Add the remaining casserole mixture on top of the cheese.
5. Spread the remaining cheese on the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top layer produces a golden brown color.
Here’s a video of the recipe:
Chicken Enchilada Casserole image by Jeffrey