If you’re looking for low-carb snacks that you can prepare easily, check out this skillet keto cornbread recipe. Real cornbread is made with wheat flour, corn meal and other carbs such as sugar that aren’t suitable for the keto diet. So, this recipe uses coconut flour and almond meal, Swerve sweetener, and other keto-approved ingredients.
It might be a modified version of the real cornbread recipe, but it sure tastes like the real thing. Above all, this keto cornbread recipe created by Carolyn of All Day I Dream About Food, is so easy to prepare and cooks in less than 40 minutes!
This Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe is very delicious and easy to make and well liked by everyone. For something sweeter you could try this Keto Banana Bread Recipe although it does not of course have any real bananas in it.
For a range of other keto breads check out this roundup of Low Carb Bread Recipes.
While the addition of bacon is optional it does make the final result tastier. There is nothing to stop you adding other things such as chopped sausage or cheese for example.
Nitrate Free Bacon
I’ve tweaked the recipe to include nitrate free bacon. You’ve probably heard that it’s processed meats that have been linked to colon cancer. The World Health Organisation has identified that nitrates and nitrites used to cure most commercial bacon as the most likely culprit. It makes sense therefore to seek out and use nitrate free bacon.
The xanthan gum is added as it helps to hold the cornbread together. It’s often used in low carb baked recipes in place of gluten. It’s used by the food industry as a thickener or stabilizer.
This gum is a soluble fiber that’s made by the fermentation of sugar although the end result does not contain any sugar. In large doses it can cause some gastric upset in sensitive people but there is only 1/2 tsp in this recipe. You can leave it out if you prefer.
Keto Cornbread Recipe
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour/meal
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
- ¼ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 6 large organic/pastured eggs
- ¼ tsp. cornbread flavoring (can be substituted with ½ tsp. vanilla)
- ½ cup melted grass-fed butter
- ¼ to ½ cup filtered water
- 2 medium diced jalapeños (optional)
- 4 free range, nitrate free bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- ½ tsp Xanthan gum (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375℉ (190°C)
2. Add 1 tbsp butter to the pan you’ll be using and melt in the oven.
3. Combine the coconut flour, sweetener, almond flour, Xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the eggs, melted butter, and cornbread flavoring and stir to mix. Add about 1/4 cup of water. Add more water a tablespoon at a time if the batter is still very thick.
4. Mix in the Jalapeño and bacon if using.
5. Remove the hot skillet from the oven.
6. Brush the melted butter around the skillet then add the batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. It’s done when the edges turn golden brown and the center is firm to the touch.
7. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool before slicing.
Here’s Carolyn’s video demo of how to prepare this delicious keto cornbread recipe: