This keto coconut flour bread is perfect for those who are starting the keto diet but find it hard to give up their favorite bread. This recipe uses low-carb ingredients such as coconut flour so is good if you want to avoid almond flour.
Related reading: 3 Best Low Carb Flour Alternatives
If you like eating sweetish seeded fruit bread then you will love this low carb version with cranberries and sunflower seeds. It tastes so good that even non low carbers are bound to enjoy it.
Its texture is softer than regular bread even though it is quite dense. You can eat it straight with some grass-fed butter or any of your favorite low carb spreads.
Best of all, this keto coconut flour bread works well for sandwiches and toast although it won’t be as crisp as regular bread. It’s perfect for snacks or as breakfast on the go.
The recipe is the creation of Elsie Yan who lost over 4 dress sizes after starting a low carb diet in Sept 2017. The diet enabled her to normalize her blood sugar from a pre-diabetic level, got rid of her acid reflux problem and improved her immune system. I love to hear stories like that don’t you?
Related reading: How Does a Keto Diet Balance Blood Sugar?
Related reading: Immune System Boosting Foods For Keto
The recipe calls for finely ground psyllium husk powder. This acts as gluten to hold everything together and provide elasticity to shape the dough. It must be very fine to work so if you don’t think yours is particularly fine then it’s best to give it a quick whiz in a small nut grinder.
Use ½ – ¾ cup Erythritol or other low carb sweetener depending on how sweet you want the bread to be. You can add some cinnamon or other spices if you like.
Make sure you measure all the ingredients accurately if you want the best result with this bread. I find it best to stick with gram measurements as cup sizes vary.
If you prefer a savory bread then try this Low Carb Coconut Flour Bread Recipe with rosemary.
Keto Coconut Flour Bread
- 120 grams or 1-cup coconut flour
- 22 grams or 2-½ tbsp. finely ground Psyllium husk powder
- 5 grams or 3 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- ½ to ¾ cup Erythritol sweetener
- 60 grams or ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 65 grams or ½ cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 6 medium-sized organic eggs
- 5 grams or 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
- 240 ml or 1 cup of boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, except for the dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Use a spatula to combine well making sure that there are no lumps.
3. Add in the dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. Mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl, except for the boiling water. Mix well to combine.
5. Add the boiling water. Mix again until it forms a dough.
6. The dough will be soft so it’s easier to place it in a pre-cut parchment paper to be shaped before putting into a 8×4″ loaf pan. Make sure to leave the top round. Flattening it will cause the bread to be dense.
7. Bake the keto coconut flour bread on the lowest rack of the oven for 60 min until the top becomes hard and crusty. You can also remove the bread from the pan and leave in the oven on a sheet pan for about 30 minutes while the oven is switched off.
8. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
9. Wrap the bread in parchment paper before refrigerating. You can also freeze the bread.
Check out Elsie’s video demo on how to make this delicious keto coconut flour bread.