Who doesn’t crave bread when starting out on a low carb or keto diet? This Keto Egg White Bread is very tasty and the nearest to the real thing. It’s made with egg white protein powder and is totally safe if you are keto. In fact, it contains only 1.3 grams of carbs per slice!
And if you want to lower the carb content even further, you can omit the arrowroot, leaving it with only 0.5 grams of carbs a thin slice. This Keto Egg White Bread recipe from Nili Barrett is so easy to prepare. It’s great for breakfast, snacks or even as a meal.
Related reading: 5 Low Carb Breakfasts To Energize Your Day
Related reading: 5 Healthy Snacks That Kill Sugar Cravings
She credits wellness expert Maria Emmerich for starting the craze for protein sparing egg white wonder bread. She points out that she does not follow Maria’s version of the keto diet which is Protein Sparing Modified Fasting.
Related reading: Can You Do Intermittent Fasting On Keto?
This recipe is not her first apparently. She has done previous videos with slightly different ingredients but this one is her latest favorite.
Keto Egg White Bread Recipe notes
You can use mct oil powder in place of butter powder if you don’t want to get the powder specially or if you want to make it dairy free.
You don’t have to use Allulose if you don’t want to. Nili uses it to help the loaf brown. You can reduce the amount if you like but turn the oven up a little to help the loaf brown.
Allulose, if you don’t know, is a low carb, low calorie sweetener that does not trigger insulin. I have written about it previously so if you want to discover more about it read this article.
She does not use any fiber in this recipe as she finds it makes the bread too doughy and dense.
Nili advises measuring the ingredients by weight and not by cups as they can be packed densely which would throw out the measurements. I ofen find that cups do not correlate with grams when I’ve compared them.
Cream of tartar is added more for the taste than anything else. It give the bread a sort of sour dough taste. You can reduce it if you like.
Keto Egg White Bread
Makes 16 thin slices
- 1 ¼ cup of filtered water
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups egg white protein powder
- 1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ cup allulose
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (optional)
Ingredients to Add After Whipping
- 2 tbsp whole egg powder
- ¼ cup butter powder
Directions for Keto Egg White Bread
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/162°C and prepare your loaf pan by greasing it and lining it with non-bleached parchment paper.
2. Add gelatin to the water that you have added to the bowl of a mixer.
3. Add the egg white powder, allulose, cream of tartar, salt, and arrowroot.
4. Using the whisk attachment whisk on low speed to start with. Gradually increase the speed until the mixture forms stiff peaks. This may take 3 -5 minutes.
5. Mix the whole egg powder and butter powder in a small bowl.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the egg powder and butter powder combination. Mix on slow speed until all ingredients are well combined and no lumps are forming. Scrape down the sides with a spatula and make sure all the powders are mixed in.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. You can make a cut lengthwise down the middle of the top with the spatula as the bread tends to split on the side while baking. This may help it to split down the centre which looks better.
8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan or a wire rack for up to ten minutes.
10. Once cooled, take the bread out of the pan and allow it to rest on the wire rack until it’s cool to the touch.
11. Slice the keto egg white bread and enjoy!
Here’s Nili’s video demo of this tasty keto egg white bread recipe.
Keto egg white bread image by Jo Zimmny