We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you love to have muffins for breakfast, yet you’re on a low carb diet, you might want to give these Low Carb Breakfast Muffins a try.
Related reading: 5 Low Carb Breakfasts To Energize Your Day
They are so easy to make and consist of three base ingredients that are ideal for both a low carb or keto diet – coconut butter, eggs, and macadamia nuts. If you don’t like the taste of almonds or want to use another nut for a change then this recipe for low carb breakfast muffins is ideal.
Related reading: Best Nuts to Eat On A Keto Diet
Spinach is so healthy
The muffins are savory too, made with the addition of spinach and feta. Spinach is full of healthy nutrients and is one of the low carb vegetables that it’s important to include on a keto diet. You can find out more about how good spinach is for you in my article Health Benefits of Kale and Spinach for Keto.
These delicious muffins from Dessi at FlavCity are moist and tender and are perfect when paired with your favorite cup of coffee. Or take one to work for a healthy mid-morning snack.
Non Toxic Baking
Before we get to the recipe I would point out that it’s probably best to cook them in non-stick muffin pan but make sure it’s non-toxic. You don’t want Teflon flakes in your muffins! Non-stick ceramic stoneware ones fit the bill like this American Bakeware 6 Cup Muffin Pan.
Alternatively line the muffin tin with some non-toxic muffin cases such as unbleached parchment ones. You can find some that are coated with natural silicone instead of that toxic chemical based silicone.
Low Carb Breakfast Muffins with Spinach and Feta
Makes 9 muffins
• 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
• 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
• 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
• ¾ cup mixed coconut butter
• 5 good quality eggs
• Zest from an organic lemon
• 1 tbsp. fresh organic lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C approx). Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Process the nuts in a food processor or high powered blender for up to 30 seconds until they produce a creamy texture. While the machine is processing the nuts, add the eggs one at a time. Make sure that each egg has been mixed well into the batter before you add another one.
3. Turn off the machine and pour the coconut butter. Add the salt and turn the machine on again and process until the batter is smooth and creamy. The key to the success of these these low carb breakfast muffins is to blend the batter very well.
4. Turn off the machine and add the baking soda and lemon zest and process again for up to 15 seconds.
5. Pour the batter into a large bowl and add the crumbled feta cheese.
6. Get the spinach and squeeze as much liquid out so it won’t spoil the muffin’s consistency. Then add it to the batter and mix well.
7. Grease the non-toxic, non-stick muffin tin well with a little melted butter or coconut oil.
8. Pour the batter into the muffin tin so the cups are just about filled up to the top. Top with the grated Parmesan and bake in the oven for up to 25 min.
9. Check one of the muffins using a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means they are cooked.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating. They can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen if you like. Enjoy!
Here’s a video demo of the recipe: