Low carb stuffed peppers are popular comfort foods that the whole family will surely enjoy. This slow cooker recipe is also very quick and easy to prepare.
You just need to stuff some flavorful fillings inside the fresh bell peppers and you will have all the taste of a taco. Top them with cheese then cook them in your crockpot.
Great if you don’t want to cook when you get home from work or a day out!
The best part about this low carb stuffed peppers recipe is that it’s very versatile. You are free to customize the fillings and add anything you want.
Related reading: 5 Top Tips for Getting Started on a Low Carb Diet
For this recipe, minced turkey meat is used, although you can choose to use other meat, such as grass-fed beef. Although the traditional stuffed peppers recipe uses rice, this recipe uses cauliflower rice to make it low carb.
This recipe from Craig Clarke, keto enthusiast at Ruled Me, produces a total of six stuffed peppers, and if you can’t finish them all, freeze the leftovers and save them for another time.
Recipe upgrade notes
As usual I’ve made a few tweaks to the recipe to make it even healthier. Although red peppers are not on EWG’s Dirty Dozen list for 2019 they were on last year’s list.
EWG state that cautions that pesticides used on sweet bell peppers “tend to be more toxic to human health”. So, this is reason I think it’s best to use organic peppers if you can.
I have also changed the olive oil in the original recipe to avocado oil as some authorities say the if you want the full health benefits of olive oil then you should not heat it.
Avocado oil is not damaged so easily and although the heat used in slow cooking is very low I think its better to use it instead of olive oil.
Here’s the recipe for these delicious taco stuffed peppers. You can serve them with a nice fresh low carb salad like this Kale Caesar Salad or a low carb vegetable dish like these Yummy Low Carb Zucchini Fries
Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
Makes 6 servings
• 500 g good quality minced turkey
• 6 small-sized organic red bell peppers
• 1 ½ tbsp. avocado oil
• 1 cup cauliflower rice
• 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
• 1 cup of filtered water
• 1 tsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
1. Cut the stems off the bell peppers.
2. Scoop the seeds out so you get hollow pepper shells.
3. Place the minced turkey meat in a bowl and add the spices. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Add the olive oil and cauliflower rice and stir.
5. Add the Monterey jack cheese.
6. Scoop up the minced turkey mixture and place it into each of the pepper shells.
7. Place the low carb stuffed peppers in your crockpot and pour one cup of water into the bottom.
8. Cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours. Top with more cheese and cook for 10 min more.
Here’s a video demo of the recipe: