We all love French fries! Unfortunately, for followers of a low carb diet like keto, this is one food you should avoid, as it’s extremely high in carbs. But if you find yourself craving for fries, your best bet is to opt for the low carb alternatives, such as these zucchini fries from Lisa Bryan of Downshiftology.
Related reading: How A Low Carb, High Fat Diet Will Reduce Food Cravings
Zucchini fries are so yummy and almost as close to the real potato fries. Plus, they are made with Italian spice blend and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, which made them even more flavorful and ultra cheesy!
Related reading: 3 Healthy Low Carb Alternatives to French Fries
One word of warning. Lisa quite rightly advises to avoid store-bought ready-grated Parmesan cheese because it contain cellulose, an anti-caking additive derived from wood pulp. Far better to buy real Parmesan known as Parmigiano-Reggiano.
As usual I have slightly tweaked the original recipe to make it even healthier. For example it’s best to use organic, pastured or free range eggs wherever possible. Regular eggs come from chickens that are fed on an unnatural diet. They often live in overcrowded conditions and do not go outside. Their eggs are not going to contain the same nutrients that organic eggs do.
I also recommend using Himalayan salt as the majority of sea salt now contains plastic fibers. Researchers have warned that they could get caught up in your gut and release toxic chemicals into your body. Himalayan salt and other salt that comes from ancient sea beds are free from plastic so it’s best to use those.
Yummy Low Carb Zucchini Fries Recipe
• 2 medium zucchinis
• 1 cup real Parmesan, grated
• 1 organic or free range egg
• 1 teaspoon Italian spice
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Lemon parsley aioli:
• 1 juiced organic lemon
• 1 minced garlic clove
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
• 1/2-cup real mayonnaise
• Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F ( 220°C approx) and line the baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Thinly slice the zucchinis until you produce about 16 slices from each.
3. Crack the egg in a bowl and beat lightly.
4. In a separate bowl add the Parmesan and spices and stir well.
5. Dip each slice of zucchini to the beaten egg, then into the Parmesan and spices and transfer to the tray.
6. Bake for up to 30 minutes but turn over on the cut side halfway through. Serve with Aioli when cooked.
7. Make aioli while baking. Simply mix all ingredients together well in a bowl.
Here’s the video of this low carb recipe:
Want more low carb keto recipes?
Get the Keto in Five bundle and start your weight loss journey today! 120 low carb recipes – 30 breakfasts, 30 lunches, 30 dinners & 30 desserts! 5 is the limit of ingredients and grams of net carbs per serving for EVERY recipe! Click here to check them out.
Zucchini Fries image by A Healthier Michigan