You don’t really need to give up your favorite spaghetti if you want to follow a low carb diet, such as the keto diet. In fact, there are lots of low carb alternatives to pasta and one of these is Zucchini Noodles.
One of the most delicious recipes that you can make out of these noodles is this Low Carb Zucchini Spaghetti with Tomato and Feta which came from Australian Women’s Weekly. The best thing about these noodles is that they hold on to the sauce so well so you can really savor the delicious spaghetti sauce.
Low Carb Zucchini Spaghetti with Tomato and Feta
Please note that I suggest avocado oil in place of olive oil that is in the original recipe as health experts say that it’s best not to heat olive oil above
180 C or the heat destroys it’s health benefits. Some say you should not heat it at all. Avocado oil, however, withstands heat better. You could also use coconut oil.
- 5 small zucchini
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 500 grams cherry truss tomatoes
- 200 grams feta, sliced lengthways into 4
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. organic lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil plus extra
- 2 tbsp. chopped oregano plus extra
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Himalayan Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) then line the two oven trays with baking paper.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in one tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. oil and sprinkle over 2 tbsp. of oregano leaves. Bake for 20 min or until they are golden and blistered.
- Place the feta slices on the other tray. Drizzle with the remaining avocado oil. Sprinkle with chili flakes and add 2 tsp. of oregano. Bake for up to 12 min. or until they are golden.
- With the use of a julienne peeler, make noodles out of the zucchinis. You can also use a spiralizer for this if you have one. Place the noodles in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook the garlic for two minutes or until it’s golden brown. Stir in lemon rind, juice, and avocado oil and chopped oregano.
- Remove the garlic mixture from pan and mix with the roasted tomatoes. Add to the zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with basil and the remaining oregano. Toss well to combine.
- Finally, season to taste and top with crumbled feta and Parmesan cheese.
Check out the video of this recipe from Anna’s Kitchen :
Want more recipes? Why not give the new Weekly Keto Weight Loss Meal Plans a try? Click here for your FREE 7 Day Trial.