This keto apple pie recipe is a low carb version of the delectable pie that everyone loves. Made using simple ingredients, it is sure to impress everyone, including those who are not following a low carb diet.
Instead of the usual wheat flour, the crust is made with low carb alternatives such as almond flour and coconut flour.It’s sweetened with a low carb alternative.
This keto apple pie recipe, demonstrated by The Cockney Cook from the East End of London, England, is not made from real apples since these fruits are high in carbs. However, you have the option to add apple extract to the filling to make it taste like the real thing.
Chayote squash,a type of Summer squash, is used for this recipe instead of apples because once peeled and chopped they resemble apples. They are said to taste quite mild like a cross between jicama or cucumber and apples with just a hint of sweeteness.
The fruit, which is also known as a vegetable pear, was originally cultivated by the Aztecs and comes from Central America. It is very nutritious and contain the minerals zinc, manganese, magnesium, potassium and the vitamins C, B6 and B9. It also contains a good array of antioxidants such as quercetin, myricetin, morin, and kaempferol.
It is particularly rich in myricetin which is good for lowering cholesterol. So, if you are following a keto or low carb diet to improve your cholesterol then why not add some chayote to your diet?
Chayote squash also contain a fair amount of fiber which is essential for good health and good for prevention of constipation that some suffer with on the keto diet.
The Cockney Cook states that the original recipe for this Keto Apple Pie came from Lisa of Low Carb Yum.
He also mentions that if the the first amounts of the spices listed below do not make the pie tasty enough you can increase the quantities.
He also made a second pie using gelatine bloomed in 3 tablespoons lemon juice instead of Xanthan gum to make the juices thicker. I notice however that Lisa uses xanthan gum in her recipe.
An alternative recipe for an apple pie is this recipe for Keto Apple Cobbler. This one is made with zucchini which also resemble apples when sliced. And if it’s pies that you like then why not try this Delicious Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Recipe?
Keto Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup melted grass-fed butter
- 1 tbsp whole psyllium husks
- 4 organic/pastured eggs
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Sea Salt
- 5 medium chayote squash
- ¾ cup low carb sugar substitute
- 1/8 – 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 – 1 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp apple extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp organic lemon juice
- ⅓ cup grass-fed butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 organic/pastured egg
1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to form a dough. Shape into a ball.
2. Divide the dough into two equal pieces.
3. Carefully roll the dough ball out between two pieces of parchment paper into a round large enough to fit a 9″ pie dish.
4. Place the crust into the 9-inch pie dish, smooth out any cracks and use the trimmings to fill in any cracks.
5. Set aside the remaining crust for topping.
1. Peel the chayote squash and slice into pieces to resemble apple slices.
2. Place the slices in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer until fork tender. This should take 10 – 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan.
3. Add the nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, Xanthan gum, apple extract, lemon juice, and sugar substitute to the cooked chayote slices. Mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the pie crust,
5. Dot the filling with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C
- Cover the pie with the reserved crust.
- Flute the edges of the crust together and make slits on the top of the pie.
- Brush egg on the crust and sprinkle with additional sweetener if you want.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until pastry is cooked and lightly browned.
Here’s the Cockney Cook’s video demo of this keto apple pie recipe.