If you’re looking for a tasty low carb dinner recipe for the entire family, this keto bolognese casserole is just the thing. This recipe is easy to prepare and each serving contains only 3 grams of net carbs. Above all, it tastes so good and will appeal to everyone, including those who are not on low carb.
This keto bolognese low carb casserole recipe is by Gerri, a chef from My Keto Kitchen. Gerri struggled with her weight for years but lost an amazing 70lbs (32kgs) when she finally discovered and tried the keto diet.
Related reading: Keto Diet Versus Low Fat Diet For Weight Loss
She uses some of her basic ground beef in the recipe. This is simply a large batch of the highest fat ground beef you can find which has been browned and kept in the fridge for a few days or frozen and then used as needed to speed up preparation.
I suggest using grass-fed beef if you can get it and simply cook it for this recipe from raw. You just have to brown it which does not take long.
Related reading: What’s So Good About Grass-Fed Meat?
The recipe will yield four servings. You can store any leftover in the fridge and reheat when needed.
As regular spaghetti is too high in carbs for a keto diet Gerri uses Shirataki noodles for this recipe. These noodles, also know as konjac or miracle noodles, are gluten free and zero carb and very filling.
They’re made from glucomannan, a type of soluble fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant, but the noodles are mostly made up of water with about only 3% of fiber. Studies have shown that they are effective for weight loss and blood sugar control
- 7 oz. grass-fed ground beef
- 2 packets Shirataki noodles
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 tsp. Italian herb mix
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 small sized onion, diced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup of tomato passata
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C approx
2. Prepare the Shirataki noodles in accordance with the directions listed on the packet. Set aside and drain well.
3. Place a saucepan on medium heat, add the oil and the onion.
4. Gently sauté the onion for about a minute before adding the garlic. Add the Italian Herb Mix and mix well.
5. Add the ground beef turn up the heat and cook stirring until browned.
6. Pour in the tomato passata and bring to simmer. Add the vinegar.
7. Season with salt and pepper generously as the noodles tend to absorb the flavor.
8. Add the drained noodles to the saucepan and coat well with the sauce.
9. Remove the keto bolognese casserole from heat. Pour the spaghetti mixture to an 8-inch casserole dish.
10. Top with Cheddar cheese and Parmesan.
11. Bake for around 15 to 20 min or until the top becomes browned.
12. Serve and enjoy!
Check out Gerri’s video demo of this keto Bolognese casserole recipe.