One of the biggest benefits of going keto is that you can still eat your favorite meat while following the diet. In fact, there are lots of delicious meat recipes for the keto diet out there and one of the most delicious is this juicy low carb meatloaf recipe.
Related reading: What Are the Best Low Carb Vegetables?
The vegetables are cooked first to soften them and drive off the water which would otherwise make the meat loaf soggy. They are then mixed into the grass-fed ground beef, layered with the cheese and prosciutto, and rolled up into a loaf shape.
You can serve the meatloaf on its own but it’s best to have some veggies on the side. These Yummy Low Carb Zucchini Fries would go well with it. Or what about these Super Easy Keto Spicy Brussels Sprouts?
I have taken the liberty of making a few adjustments to the ingredients as I tend to do. If you are going to follow a keto diet or any diet for that matter it’s best to use the healthiest ingredients.
The best meat for keto is grass-fed because it’s got a better ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids and more vitamins and minerals. The best eggs are organic or pastured for the same reason.
Related reading: What’s So Good About Grass-Fed Meat?
I’ve also suggested Himalayan salt or Real salt over Kosher salt that Bobby uses in the recipe as they are mined from ancient sea beds and will be free of plastic micro-fibers that regular sea salt unfortunately contains these days.
Kosher salt does not come from ancient sea beds and is likely to contain plastic fibers. It won’t be iodized but may still contain an anti-caking additive which is best avoided.
Related reading: Should you Avoid Food Additives On a Low Carb Diet?
Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe
Serves 5 approx
2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef (20% fat beef is best if you can get it)
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
½ red onion, finely chopped
½ tsp. dried thyme
¼ cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
¼ pound sliced prosciutto (optional)
2 organic eggs
3 cloves minced garlic
5 ounce sliced provolone cheese
Keto ketchup (no sugar) (eg Primal Kitchen – Spicy or Regular)
Himalayan or Real salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C approx).
2. Place a non-toxic, non-stick pan on medium heat and add 2 tsp. oil. Add the onions, thyme, green pepper, 1/4 tsp. salt, and few cracks of black pepper. Cook for around 10 min, while stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 5 min more being careful not to over cook or it will be bitter.
3. In a large bowl, add the ground beef. Then add the eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and some more pepper.
4. When the veggies are ready, place them in the bowl with the ground beef. Use a large spoon and gently mix all ingredients together. When the vegetable mix cool enough you can mix it with your clean hands. Take care not to over-mix the meatloaf otherwise it will turn out tough.
5. Take some non-bleached parchment paper that’s around 9 x 10 inches in size. Spread the meatloaf mixture onto the paper leaving a margin of paper around all sides and shape using your hands. Layer the meat with cheese and prosciutto.
Roll the meatloaf tightly with the help of the paper. Pinch the ends of the meat to close and flatten. Transfer to a tin with the paper leaving the paper open ate the top and cover with as much no added sugar ketchup as you want.
6. Bake for 75 min or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 – 20 min. Slice and serve with some keto veggies.
Note: You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or they can be frozen for 2-3 months. The best way to reheat everything is in a 350°F (175°C approx) oven for 8-10 minutes.
Here’s a video demo of the Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe:
Meatloaf image by Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife