If you’re looking for an inspiration for a low carb casserole recipe, this Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a great recipe to try. It’s the perfect casserole to cook for the whole family. You can serve it with any of your favorite low-carb side dishes.
This recipe from Sarah of CJ’s Kitchen is a modified version of the original creamy chicken broccoli casserole that uses Ritz crackers. Since the crackers are not suitable for a keto or low carb diet this Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe uses “keto breadcrumbs”, which are healthier and definitely low in carbs.
Organic and Free Range Chickens
To make this really healthy use as many organic products as you can. Organic or free range chickens are much healthier for you than their commercially reared ones.
Ideally, you want a chicken that is truly free range. This means that the chickens are given access to pastures all the time and not just given access to the outside once in a while. Farmers may of course house them at night to protect them from foxes.
A 2017 published scientific animal study showed that commercial chicken meat resulted in increases in growth, cholesterol levels and an imbalance in hormone levels.
Not only that but commercially raised chicken meat was found to contain potentially harmful bacteria such as salmonella and Campylobacter.
A consumer report found that approximately half of the 316 chicken samples tested also contained at least one bacterium resistant to three or more antibiotics. Not a nice picture is it?
Also many people find that organic or free range chickens taste better. Don’t be fooled by the term “farm raised” because this does not really have any meaning. Even commercially reared chickens housed in barns or cages could be raised on a farm.
If you would prefer to have a slow cooker chicken recipe then try this Keto Chicken Casserole with Mushrooms
Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole
1.5 lb. boneless, cooked free range chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces or Rotisserie chicken
8 oz. softened Philadelphia cream cheese
14 ounces organic, frozen broccoli florets, thawed, cooked and well drained
1 tbsp. melted grass-fed butter
1 tsp. garlic powder + extra for keto crumb mixture
1 tsp. poultry seasoning + extra for keto crumbs
1.5 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. (200C)
2. In a large bowl, mix the Philadelphia cream cheese, half and half, and the garlic powder until well blended. Add the shredded Cheddar cheese, broccoli, and chicken. Mix well.
3. Spoon the ingredients into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish greased with a little avocado oil.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 25 min.
5. Meanwhile make the keto breadcrumbs. Place the almond flour and Parmesan in a small bowl and mix well. Season well with the poultry or other seasoning. Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms crumbs.
6. Remove chicken dish from oven and remove covering. Give the mixture a stir and place the crumbs on top.
6. Bake uncovered for around 10 min or until the crumbs are golden brown and the chicken mixture is hot.
7. Leave the casserole to stand for 5 -10 min before you serve it.
Here’s Sarah’s video demo of this Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe: