Avocado might sound like a weird ingredient to put in ice cream but it makes a great dessert to help boost your ketosis since it’s loaded with healthy fats. This dairy free but creamy Keto Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream Recipe would be a great recipe to try whether you’re following a keto or just a lower carb diet.
Health benefits of Avocados
While avocado is often feared for the fat it contains many studies show that avocado has some powerful health benefits. A high percentage of the fat is oleic acid, the same fat as is in olive oil which is known for it’s many health benefits.
The fats in avocados can lower triglycerides (blood fats), total cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol.
Related reading: How a Low Carb High Fat Diet Affects your Cholesterol
They contain a range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber which is good when you are on a keto diet which, unless you are careful to include plenty of low carb vegetables and fruit, may be lacking in fiber.
Related reading: Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies in a Keto Diet
Aside from avocados, this delectable keto n’ice cream dessert recipe from Thrive Market is made with cacao, coconut cream and a low carb natural sweetener. it’s also dairy free and you don’t need an ice cream maker for the recipe. It’s more of a soft creamy dessert than ice cream as it’s not frozen. They call it N’ice Cream!
The sweetener used in this Keto Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream recipe is Swerve which is zero-calorie, non-glycemic meaning it has no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels so is safe for those with diabetes. It’s exactly what you need for your keto diet!
Related reading: How Does a Keto Diet Balance Blood Sugar?
Thrive Market for Natural and Organic Foods
Thrive Market is an American membership-based retailer offering natural, non-GMO and organic food products at reduced costs. You can get your favorite foods and products delivered to your door for up to 50% off!
They stock over 350 products for a ketogenic diet as well as hundreds of products for many other diets. Click here or the banner below to get an extra 25% off + free shipping on your first order.
Keto Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
• 1 can organic Coconut Cream, refrigerated overnight
• ½ cup organic Cacao Nibs
• 3 – 4 tbsps. Swerve sweetener
• ¾ cup cacao powder
• 4 ripe avocados, peeled, halved and cubed
• Juice from half an organic lemon
1. Place the cubed avocados on a tray and freeze until they are solid.
2. Using a food processor, process the avocados, sweetener, and lemon juice.
3. Remove the coconut cream from the fridge being careful not to shake it. Scoop the thick part of the coconut cream off the top of the can and add to the food processor. Keep the coconut liquid for use later.
4. Blend for up to 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
5. Add the cacao nibs and cacao powder. Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
6. Scoop into your serving dishes and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Check out this video demo of the recipe: