If you are looking for the tastiest chocolate cake recipe that is keto-friendly, here’s a keto chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe that you’ll be delighted with. As the name suggests, this chocolate cake is made with mayonnaise, an ingredient that has almost no carbs and is high in fat, making it very keto-friendly.
I must admit when I came across this recipe I had never heard of using mayonnaise in a cake. (Okay, I must have been living under a rock!). I thought it must be a new craze but on doing a bit of research it turns out that the use of mayonnaise for cake making dates as far back as 1927.
It was apparently an invention for the Depression Era by Hellman’s to promote their mayonnaise and was a cheaper replacement for milk and butter.
Why use mayonnaise in a cake?
The mayonnaise takes the place of butter, making the cake incredibly moist. And since there’s no need to cream the mayo with a sweetener, it makes the process much easier.
This recipe, which is a creation by Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food, calls for an avocado oil based mayonnaise. You certainly don’t want to use Hellman’s mayonnaise for this keto recipe because it contains sugar although you will see some sites that say it’s keto-friendly.
Another good reason not to use it is because it contains canola and soybean oils which are processed oils and contain trans-fats which are harmful to your health.
Related reading: The Paleo Diet: Beyond Calorie Counting
This recipe, which Carolyn says her readers go nuts about, takes only 25 min to prepare and can yield 16 servings. Each serving of this amazingly delicious cake has only 3.9 grams net carbs.
Related reading: What Are Net Carbs And Why Are They Important?
This recipe uses dairy free cream cheese but you can substitute dairy cream cheese if you like. Dairy free cream cheese may be made from coconut oil, soy or and nuts. This Miyoko’s Creamery Organic Vegan Plant Based Cream Cheese is made from cashews and coconut oil.
If you don’t mind eating dairy then you could try this delicious Keto Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake.
Keto Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅔ cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- ¾ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp Redmond Real salt
- 1 cup keto friendly mayonnaise like this one
- 3 large organic/pastured eggs
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup filtered water
Dairy-free Chocolate Frosting
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz. dairy-free softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup coconut oil, at room temperature, plus another 1 tbsp
- 1 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ⅓ to ½ cup full fat coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Using two 8-inch cake pans grease and line with parchment paper and grease the parchment as well.
2. Whisk the almond flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Add the eggs, mayonnaise, water, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
4. Place the batter in the cake pans dividing it equally. Make sure to spread it evenly to the edges and smooth the top.
5. Bake the cakes for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are firm to the touch. Remove them from the oven and leave to cool for about 20 minutes. Turn them out onto a wire rack and remove the parchment paper.
1. Place the chopped chocolate and 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a small heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and stir gently until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Place the rest of the soft coconut oil in a large bowl. The oil should be soft enough to beat, without melting. Beat in the cream cheese until smooth. Pour in vanilla extract and sweetener, and beat again making sure all ingredients are well combined.
3. Add the melted chocolate dribbling it in while you beat the mixture again. Add the coconut milk a few tablespoons at a time until it becomes a spreadable consistency.
Assembling the Cake
1. To assemble this keto chocolate cake, begin by placing one layer of the cake on a cake platter or large plate. Spread with a third of the dairy-free frosting, making sure you spread right to the edges.
2. Place the other cake layer gently on top and spread with another third of the frosting.
3. Use the remaining third to cover the sides of the cake.
Here’s Carolyn’s video demo of how this keto chocolate mayonnaise cake recipe is prepared.