Does the sheer mention of cream cheese chocolate cake get you drooling? You can almost taste the rich creaminess of the cheese with the sweetness of the chocolate just thinking about it. can’t you?
If you’re on the keto diet though this cake is something that you need to avoid. Thankfully, there’s a keto version of the cream cheese chocolate cake that is just as delicious. This recipe from Elsie Yan has been specifically created for those who are watching their carbs.
Elsie has been low carb for the past three years and has lost over 4 dress sizes, normalized her blood sugar from a pre-diabetic level, got rid of her acid reflux and improved her immune system.
Related reading: How Does a Keto Diet Balance Blood Sugar?
Coconut flour replacement with almond flour
Instead of the usual white wheat flour, this recipe makes use of low carb coconut flour although you can use almond flour if you are not a fan of coconut flour. You would have to change the quantity you use for the recipe because coconut flour is much more absorbent.
For the cream cheese batter you would replace the 1 tablespoon of coconut flour with 2 tablespoons almond flour. For the chocolate batter you would replace the 60 g / 1/2 cup of coconut flour with 240 g / 2 cups almond flour.
The cocoa powder is unsweetened, but Erythritol, a low carb sweetener that is popular among keto dieters, is added so the cake tastes just as sweet as a regular one. Each serving is just 1.6 carbs.
If you love chocolate desserts then you will probably like these recipes:
Keto Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake
Makes 15 servings
Cream Cheese Batter
- 180 g or 1 ½ cup softened organic cream cheese
- 24 g or 1 ½ cup powdered sweetener such as Swerve confectioners.
- 2 large organic or pastured egg yolks
- 10 g or 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- 60 g or ½ cup coconut flour
- 160 g or 2/3 cup grass-fed butter
- 60 – 100 g Erythritol
- 4 whole organic or pastured eggs
- 30 g or 4 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. gluten free baking powder
- 160 ml or 0.7 cup organic whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Line a 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with parchment paper.
3. Combine the cream cheese and powdered sweetener in a mixing bowl using a spatula. Mix well. Add the egg yolks and mix again. Add in the coconut flour and combine all ingredients thoroughly. Set this batter aside.
4. Place the butter and Erythritol in another bowl and whisk or beat with a hand mixer until very fluffy and pale in color.
5. Add the eggs one a time. Whisking each time until they are well combined.
6. Sieve the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder into the batter and fold them in until well combined.
7. Pour in the whipping cream and fold until the batter becomes thick and smooth.
8. Spoon half of the chocolate batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spread the batter evenly using a spatula or spoon.
9. Next, spoon half the cream cheese batter over the top of the chocolate batter but only in the middle. Carefully spread the batter a little but don’t spread all the way to the sides.
10. Pour the remaining chocolate batter on top and spread evenly. Then top with the remaining cream cheese batter again only in the middle. Spread out a little and use a wooden skewer to draw swirl patterns through the batter.
11. Bake the cream cheese chocolate cake for 40 to 50 minutes or until its cooked. Use a wooden skewer to check. If it comes out clean, then that means your cake is cooked. You can cover the top loosely with foil if it’s getting to well done on top.
12. Leave the cake to cool before serving. You can serve it with organic strawberries or other low carb berries.
13. You can refrigerate the cream cheese chocolate cake for up to a week if it lasts that long or freeze it in portions.
Here is Elsie’s video demo of how to make this delicious cream cheese chocolate cake.