Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, these keto crab cakes are great for snacks or appetizers. Yum Yum! They can also be served as a side for a meal.
Related reading: 4 Top Low Carb Diet Benefits
Crab cakes are generally made with breadcrumbs, but for this recipe from Matt and Meghan of Keto Connect, coconut flour is used as a low-carb alternative. It gives them a really nice flavor and they say they used coconut flour over almond flour as it was cheaper.
These keto crab cakes or Keto Krab Kakes as they call them are very delicious and taste just like the real thing.
They are so easy to prepare and the best thing is that this recipe contains only 3 grams of net carbs. This is exactly the kind of recipe that you need to help you stay in ketosis.
Crab is high in protein, contains Omega 3 fatty acids and is full of vitamins and minerals and is generally cheaper than lobster. Crab feeds mostly on algae so is usually low in mercury too.
When buying fresh crab make sure it’s very fresh. Frozen or canned is okay for the recipe but you won’t get the same taste as you do from fresh crab.
You can serve them with a nice keto-friendly salad or maybe some Yummy Low Carb Zucchini Fries.
Keto Crab Cakes
• 1 pound crab meat, fresh or good quality tinned
• 6 tbsp. coconut flour
• 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard (sugar free)
• 3 tbsp. keto-friendly mayonnaise
• 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
• 1 large organic egg
• 1/4 tsp. green chili Tabasco sauce
• 4 tbsp. grass-fed butter
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 tbsp. parsley (fresh, optional)
1. Place the lump crab meat in a colander. Drain the excess water or pat dry and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the mustard, mayo, Tabasco sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Then fold in the crab meat until fully coated.
3. Slowly add in the coconut flour and guage the consistency while mixing the ingredients using your hand. You don’t want them to fall apart. Once all the ingredients are fully incorporated, fold in the parsley if using.
4. Create about six patties out of the mixture.
5. Heat a skillet to medium-low and add 2 tablespoons of butter so you can start cooking the keto crab cakes. Add 3 of the patties if they fit in your pan. After about 10 min, flip the patties to the other side. Repeat until all the patties are cooked.
6. Top your keto crab cakes with Tabasco sauce before serving. Enjoy!
Check out this video demo of the recipe: