This tasty keto quiche is perfect for breakfast or brunch. It is very flavorful, filled with tofu, ground almonds, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and zucchini, and will be loved by everyone, even those who are not vegan.
The crust is absolutely keto-friendly, as it’s made from ground almonds, flaxseed, salt, yeast, coconut oil, and water. So, if you’re following a plant-based keto diet and looking for a new recipe to try, this keto quiche from Heavenly Fan is highly recommended.
What is a Quiche?
Knowing about Quiche Lorraine I always thought that quiche was a French word but on checking I find that the word ‘quiche’ comes from the German word ‘Kuchen’ which means cake.
Technically this is not a true quiche. There are various definitions for what a quiche is and that best one I can find is that it is a savory egg custard baked in a flaky pie crust shell.
As well as the egg custard mixture the quiche can contain various other ingredients such as ham or bacon, spinach, mushrooms and cheese. But, you do see them filled with all sorts of things.
This recipe for Low Carb Quiche with Bacon & Spinach is very tasty if you are eating meat and cheese.
Being vegan this quiche does not of course contain eggs, meat or fish but it is still very delicious.
Heavenly Fan recommends using a perforated quiche tin because it helps to get a crisp crust. If you don’t happen to have one of those nor want to get one then simply use what you have. It will still be good.
She uses ground almonds in the crust. It is not the same as almond flour but more like almond meal which is a little coarser. The nutritional yeast adds flavor.
Tofu is made from soya bean curd and is great for a keto diet as it is high in protein and fat but low in calories. It provides a smooth textured filling like eggs normally would.
- 1 ½ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 3 – 4 tbsps. nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon Redmond Real Sea Salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- filtered water
- 300g silken or soft tofu
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 – 2 onions
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Avocado oil for sautéing
- Redmond Real Sea Salt and
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large organic tomatoes
- 2 small organic zucchini (courgettes)
- Spring (green) onions, trimmed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 356°F
- Grease a 10″(25 cm x 4.2 cm) diameter flan tin with coconut oil.
- Using a large mixing bowl add all ingredients for the crust except water and mix well.
- Add cold water a few drops at a time to the mixture. Using your hands mix in the water until the mixture forms a ball. The texture will be crumbly.
- Place the ball of dough in the middle of the quiche tin and using your hands press the crust mixture out to fill the tin and up the sides until it’s fully covered. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 min. Check frequently to make sure it does not over brown.
- Leave to cool for about 10 or 15 minutes before removing it carefully from the dish.
1. Heat a little avocado oil in a frying pan and sauté the chopped onions until they are caramelized but not over browned. Remove from pan and put aside while you do the same with the sliced mushrooms. Cook until they are nicely brown, then leave them aside to cool.
2. Open the packet of tofu and tip away any water. Place in a bowl and break up with a spatula. Add the ground almonds, and yeast and mix well until they smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add the cooked onions and mushrooms to the mixture and mix well. You can add the chopped green (spring) onions at this stage if wanted.
4. Gently spoon the mixture into the crust and spread evenly taking care not to break the crust.
5. Decorate with sliced tomatoes and some thin slices of zucchini if desired. and basil leaves on the quiche if desired.
6. Drizzle the top with some avocado oil and bake at 356°F/180°C for about 40 minutes until top is starting to go brown. Allow to cool a little before serving and decorate with some basil leaves. Enjoy!
Here’s Heavenly Fan’s video demo on how this keto quiche is prepared: