When looking for a low carb quiche recipe online, most of the recipes that you can find are crustless. But just because you are following a low carb diet does not mean that you’re no longer allowed to enjoy a quiche with a crust.
The key is to cook your crust using low carb ingredients such as almond flour. When it comes to this, here’s a low carb quiche recipe that you can follow. This recipe, created by Elsie Yan, uses almond flour, unsalted butter, eggs, and salt for the crust.
It does not have all the added carbs that the typical quiche crust has, so you can enjoy your quiche without the fear of ruining your low carb diet. Each slice contains only 3.7 grams net carbs a slice.
Related reading: Best Carbs to Eat for Weight Loss
Elsie has been low carb since September 2017. She says that the diet helped her lose over four dress sizes, normalized her blood sugar from a pre-diabetic level, got rid of her acid reflux and improved her overall immune system tremendously.
Related reading: Does Low Carb Dieting Result In Successful Weight Loss?
If you like dishes with spinach then you would probably like this recipe for Low Carb Breakfast Muffins with Spinach and Feta.
Although the recipe specifies frozen spinach you can use fresh if you prefer. You can simply sauté it with the onions and garlic.
Related reading: Health Benefits of Kale and Spinach for Keto
The quiche is best made in a deep, loose bottom fluted pie pan. It makes it a lot easier to remove the quiche from the pan when cooked. If you only have a plain sided one then that’s fine. It’s just that the fluted sided ones make the quiche look so attractive.
You can try making this dish with sour cream or yogurt instead of the whipping cream if you prefer.
Low Carb Quiche
Makes 12 slices
- 240 grams or 2 cups almond flour
- 80 grams or 1/3 cup unsalted cold cubed grass-fed butter
- 2 medium-sized organic/pastured eggs
- 1/2 tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 4 large-sized organic/pastured eggs
- 180 ml or 3/4 cup whipping cream ( organic if possible)
- 250 grams or 20 balls of frozen spinach, thawed or 400g fresh spinach
- 130 grams or 5 strips of good quality bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 diced onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Redmond Real Salt
- 80 grams or 2/3 cup grated organic cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 tsp black or white pepper
Prepare the Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
2. First, prepare the crust. To do this mix the almond flour and salt together in a bowl using a spatula. Then, add the cubes of cold butter and use a pastry cutter to mash the ingredients until crumbly. Add the eggs and mix with a spatula until the dough is formed.
3. Place the dough into a 9″greased pie pan with removable base and spread evenly. For easier handling, wet your hands before handling the dough.
4. Using a fork prick the crust lightly all over and then freeze for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pie pan from the freezer. Carefully cover the dough base with parchment paper and weigh down with dried beans or something similar. Bake blind for 15 minutes.
6. After 15 minutes remove the parchment paper and weights. Wrap the pan with a sheet of foil so the edges are protected to prevent them browning, then bake for another 15 minutes.
Prepare the Filling
7. Combine the eggs, whipping cream, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
8. Squeeze the water out of the thawed spinach and set aside.
9. Lightly brown the bacon in a frying pan using a little oil. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside leaving the oil in the pan.
10. Next, sauté the garlic and onions in the oil until translucent.
11. Spread the spinach evenly on the quiche crust. Then add the garlic, onion, grated cheese, and bacon, reserving some of the cheese for the topping.
12. Pour the egg mixture into the crust and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
13. Bake the quiche for 30 minutes. Turn the tray halfway through in order for the top to be evenly brown. Remove the foil and allow to cool a little before serving.
14. This low carb quiche is best eaten fresh, but you can keep it in the fridge for two or three days.
Check out Elsie’s video demo of how to prepare and bake this tasty low carb quiche.