Looking for a change from all those heavy meat dishes on your keto or low carb diet? This delicious Salmon Poke Bowl could be the ideal solution.
Poke (pronounced poh-keh) is a Hawaiian dish that consists mainly of raw, cubed marinaded tuna, salmon, or other fish such as shrimps or scallops. It’s usually served as an appetizer or as a main dish and is a favorite comfort food dish in Hawaii.
Salmon, as you know, is a very keto-friendly fish, high in protein and healthy omega 3 fat. Plus, it’s rich in B vitamins, selenium, and potassium, and absolutely carb-free!
Is mercury in tuna bad for you?
Tuna is a favorite fish to use in poke bowls too but then there is some controversy over the mercury it contains. Tuna is high in mercury, a toxic heavy metal, compared with other fish. Yellowfin tuna (ahi tuna) and albacore are especially high in it.
Mercury can cause adverse health effects such as brain issues, depression and anxiety, and heart disease. However Chris Kresser points out that:
Mercury is only harmful because it binds to selenium and prevents it from performing its vital roles in the brain. Studies of mercury exposure in fish consistently ignore the important role of selenium.
As long as you are eating fish that contains more selenium than mercury, the amount of selenium in the body will always be in plentiful excess of mercury.
Tuna is one fish that is loaded with the mineral selenium so it’s probably fine to eat so far as mercury is concerned but you still have take care about the freshness of the fish for raw fish dishes. It’s important to buy it from a reputable fishmonger or market with a fast turnover.
Sashimi Grade fish best for poke
Fish labeled as sashimi has been “super frozen” at minus 40 deg C which kills any parasitic worms in the fish but does not cause breakdown of the flesh. It is the safest and highest grade available for raw fish.
This recipe from Matthew over at Keto Connect also includes avocado, which is usually a favorite among keto dieters due to its high healthy fats.
You can, for a change, use cauliflower rice in place of the cabbage.
Keto Salmon Poke Bowl Recipe
• 4 ounce raw sashimi grade salmon
• 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon Sriracha (look for a sugar free brand)
• 1 to 2 drops of liquid stevia
• 2 tablespoon liquid aminos
• 1 cup green cabbage
• 2 tablespoons chopped Nori wrapper
• 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
• 1/2 medium-size ripe avocado
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
• 1/4 cup cucumber
• 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Mix the marinade in a bowl and add the cubed salmon. Combine well.
2. Refrigerate the marinated salmon for two hours.
3. Place the cabbage in a bowl and add the rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Toss well.
4. Add the sliced avocado, cucumber, and the marinated salmon.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, scallions, and the chopped Nori wrapper.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Matthew’s demo of the recipe:
Poke Bowl image by Marco Verch