Broccoli rice and cauliflower rice are gaining popularity these days, especially for those who are on a low carb or keto diet. These cruciferous vegetables are known for having less amount of carbohydrates in them. Broccoli contains only 7 grams of carbs in every 100 grams, while cauliflower only has 5 grams of carbs.
Low Carb Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower rice is a great substitute for starchy carbs and can be used in the same way that you would use your favorite white rice or brown rice. It’s easy to make the cauliflower rice, although there are now pre-made alternatives that you can buy from your local supermarket. Simply cook it until tender and you can use it to prepare various low carb recipes.
If you don’t like the cauliflower, you’d be glad to know that there’s a good alternative to the cauliflower rice and that’s broccoli rice. Like cauliflower rice, broccoli rice is very nutritious and can be used as a substitute for white or brown rice. Made from stems and florets, the rice is processed into crispy rice-like grains that can be used cooked or uncooked in the same manner that the cauliflower rice is used.
Easy Broccoli Rice Low Carb Recipe
Riced broccoli is easy to make and can be done in only a few minutes. Both the stem and the florets can be used and it’s processed in the same way as the cauliflower rice, where a food processor will be used. Here’s a recipe based on one from Vanessa Perrone, a Montreal Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, of Motive Nutrition.
• 1 broccoli head, chopped into tiny florets
• 1 Vidalia onion (a sweet onion)
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
• 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 tsp. chili flakes
• Prepare your food processor that’s fitted with a blade. Try to work in batches to avoid overcrowding the processor. Next, pulse the broccoli until it looks like regular rice. This should take about 5 to 10 pulses.
• Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes and add the chili flakes.
• After five minutes, add the broccoli rice that you have processed. Add salt and pepper and sauté for another 5 min.
• Finally, mix the grated Parmesan and stir well. Remove from heat and enjoy.
Here’s a video of the recipe:
Looking for more Low Carb Recipes? You may like these:
3 Healthy Low Carb Alternatives to French Fries
Delicious Keto Lava Cake Recipe
Delicious Vegan Keto Recipe: Vegan Pesto Spaghetti with Mushrooms & Olives
Brownies On A Low Carb Diet?