They say that the holiday season is the most challenging time to go on a diet. But if you’re on the keto diet, you can still eat lots of delicious treats, such as this keto trifle.
Trifle is originally an English layered dessert of sponge cake soaked in sherry, fruit and custard. According to Rita D. Jacobs writing in the NY Times in the times of Queen Elizabeth 1 the dessert was a light frothy dessert, closer to a syllabub than a trifle.
But, by the middle of the 18th century, trifles included ratafia (almond-flavored biscuits) or macaroons soaked in sweet wine, covered with custard and topped with whipped cream.
This low carb dessert from Aaron, an Accredited Nutritional Therapist, is made with port wine jelly, cream, low carb fruits, and keto sponge. The sponge is a delicious cake made from low-carb ingredients, such as almond flour, low carb sweetener, and butter.
Related reading: 4 Best Natural Low Carb Sweeteners
Keto trifle is a decadent dessert that is so delicious and will be loved by everyone, including your most fussy guests! It’s a great dessert to make for the festive season.
Check out these easy and delicious recipes for more Keto Holiday Desserts.
Watching the video demo can be a little confusing as the written instructions are not quite the same as he shows in the video. He puts some heavy cream over the fruit before layering with the rest of the jelly and he does not put it in the fridge overnight before the final covering of cream.
I guess at the end of the day it does not matter too much. The idea is to create layers that can be seen from the outside of the glass bowl.
He also uses blueberries and not raspberries in the video demo although they are not listed in the ingredients. Once again it doesn’t really matter. You can use whatever low carb fruits you like.
Related reading: 5 Healthy Fruits You Can Eat On A Low Carb Diet
He calls the cream that he uses for the layers dollop cream. He says they call it thickened cream in Australia but it’s probably more like what Americans know as heavy cream.
If you have trouble getting the sugar-free port wine crystals you can use another flavor. Hopefully you’ll be able to get a sugar-free one that does not contain artificial sweeteners!
Related reading: Artificial Sweeteners on Keto? Good or Bad?
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 cup or 250g Ricotta
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 organic/pastured eggs
- ⅓ cup Nativa or erythritol
- 7 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Sea Salt
- 4 packets sugar-free port wine jelly crystals
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups boiling filtered water
- 300 ml thickened cream ( same as heavy cream)
- 2 tbsps. brandy or other alcohol
- 1 cup fresh organic strawberries or blueberries
- 1 cup fresh organic raspberries
1. Pre-heat oven to 320°F/160°C.
2. Prepare a 9″x9″ (22cm X 22cm) square baking pan by greasing it and lining it with non bleached parchment paper.
3. Beat the Natvia sweetener and ricotta together with an electric mixer.
4. While mixing, carefully add the eggs one at a time.
5. Next, mix the the almond flour, baking soda, and salt together well. Carefully fold into the egg mixture with the melted butter.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until done.
1. Place the sugar-free port wine jelly crystals in a heat-proof bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Stir to dissolve the crystals then add 400 ml cold filtered water.
2. Place in fridge and leave it overnight to set.
3. Cut the sponge into 2″ squares. Arrange them in the bottom of your glass trifle bowl. A 13 cup-capacity is about the right size. You can make 2 layers to use them up if you have to. Drizzle the brandy over them.
4. Spoon half of the jelly on top of the sponge cake filling up the spaces between the sponge squares. Spread with the heavy cream.
5. Add the strawberries or blueberries and raspberries placing them around the edge so they can be seen from the outside of the bowl. Then spoon the remaining jelly on top of the fruits.
6. Cover and refrigerate again overnight.
7. Next, prepare the cream. Using an electric mixer beat the sweetener and heavy cream in a bowl. Beat until soft peaks form.
8. Spoon the cream over the keto trifle, then decorate top with some halved strawberries and raspberries.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Aaron’s video demo of how to prepare this delicious keto trifle recipe.