If you’re a vegetarian trying to lower your carbs, this keto vegetable lasagna is a great recipe to include in your diet. Made with eggplants, known as aubergines in the UK and Europe, it is so delicious and nutritious.
Eggplants are low in carbs but high in fiber. They are also very nutrient-dense, which means they contain lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants with fewer calories.
Best of all, this keto vegetable lasagna recipe from Leckerer Kanal is simple and won’t take much of your time to prepare.
Health Benefits of Eggplants
We tend to think of and treat eggplants as a vegetable but technically they are a fruit. They are an excellent for low carb diets because they contain a good amount of fiber.
A low carb diet can cause constipation if you are not careful to include enough high fiber fruit and vegetables in your diet.
Related reading: Fiber on Keto – Why Is It So Important?
Eggplants will help to keep you energized all day and healthy because of all the nutrients it contains. They are a good source of vitamins B1, B3, B6 and contain copper, folate , vitamins C and K, potassium, manganese and magnesium.
It’s particularly noted for being high in anthocyanin, an antioxidant, which neutralizes free radicals that cause damage in our bodies.
Researchers have found that polyphenol, another antioxidant eggplants contain, can help reduce the absortption of sugar and increase the secretion of insulin which helps with blood glucose control.
Related reading: How Does a Keto Diet Balance Blood Sugar?
It is a member of the deadly nightshade family which some people with arthritis avoid as they can make the condition worse.
Eggplants come in a variety of different colors but you can choose whichever you prefer. They were called eggplants because the fist ones brought to North America were white and looked ike eggs.
Leckerer recommends soaking the eggplant slices in salt water before using them. This is done to remove any bitterness from them but modern varieties tend to be less bitter. However, chefs recommend that they are treated if you are going to fry them.
The eggplant slices are baked here not fried so it’s up to you if you want to salt soak them first.
Keto Vegetable Lasagna
- 2 eggplants
- 200 grams of organic mozzarella, sliced
- 30 grams Parmesan, grated
- 140 grams organic spinach
- 4 tablespoons Ricotta
- 1 tablespoon of Redmond Real Sea Salt
- Italian herbs
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Neapolitan sauce
- Redmond Real Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado oil
- Per-heat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Cut the two eggplants into thin slices lengthwise.
- Fill a large bowl with water, add the tablespoon of salt and stir to mix well.
- Place the eggplant slices into the bowl making sure they all get covered with the salt water and leave for 10 – 15 minutes. Then drain them off and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Brush a baking sheet with avocado oil. Arrange the cooked eggplant slices on the sheet, season with salt and pepper and brush them with some of the avocado oil. Make a second layer if they don’t all fit in one layer or use two baking sheets. Season the second layer with salt and pepper and more Italian herbs. Brush with oil.
- Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice and chop the spinach and one large tomato. Place the spinach in a bowl and add the ricotta, a crushed clove of garlic and Italian herbs to taste.
- Arrange some of the eggplant slices in a casserole dish so they cover the bottom and the sides draping them over the edge. Add half the spinach filling spreading it evenly over the bottom. Cover with tomato slices and then scatter with half the sliced Mozarella.
- Add some more of the eggplant slices and spread over the remaining spinach mixture. Add some Neapolitan sauce and scatter with the remaining Mozarella. Add more of the tomato slices and top with the eggplants and more of the sauce.
- Fold in the eggplant slices that are hanging over the sides to cover the layers.
- Spread with some more Neapolitan sauce and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan
- Bake the lasagna for 30 min at 400°F/200°C.
- Leave to cool before cutting into slices to serve.
Here’s Leckerer’s video demo on how to prepare this delicious recipe: