This healthy keto spicy eggplant recipe is full of exotic Indian flavors. And the best part is that it only takes a mere five minutes to prepare. This tasty recipe is low in carbs and can work well for those who are following the vegetarian keto diet.
Eggplant, known as aubergine in the UK, is though to have originated in India where it grows wild. It is a great vegetable (really a fruit) to include in your diet. This non-starchy vegetable is low in calories and carbs, having only 2 grams of net carbs per raw cupful.
It is a member of the nightshade family which some people avoid as they believe they contribute to arthritis pain or inflammation.
Nutrients in eggplants
They are full of fiber which is important for low carb diets as they can lead to constipation if you don’t get enough fiber. They are also a reasonable source of vitamins B1 and B6, low in sodium but high in potassium, copper, magnesium and manganese.
Eggplants are high in antioxidants and polyphenols which give them their dark purple color although you can find them in lilac, white and striped lilac and white known as graffiti.
Researchers have found that polyphenols may help reduce sugar absorption and increase insulin secretion which can help with lowering blood sugar.
Are eggplants pesticide free?
At one time eggplants were sprayed with pesticides numerous times during their growing season but they are now on EWG’s Clean 15 List of fruit and vegetables.
This however does not mean that they are completely free of pesticides. Of the clean fifteen fruit and vegetable samples 70% had no pesticide residues. The remainder had the residue of at least two pesticides after washing.
Pesticides are toxic chemicals which get into your body from the food you eat and may build up causing brain and nervous system toxicity, hormone disruption and even cancer. It’s best to eat organic produce if you can.
There are so many ways to prepare eggplant as part of your keto meal plan. But this keto spicy eggplant recipe from 5-Minute Kitchen is the easiest and quickest way to a tasty dish.
For a spicy meat dish try this Low Carb Spicy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe.
Spicy Eggplant Recipe
- 1 organic eggplant
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tbsp red chili powder
- Avocado oil
- Redmond Real Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Remove the stem from the eggplant and wash really well.
2. Cut into round slices about 2 cm thick.
3. Place the slices into a bowl and add all the spices and some salt. Mix well so the spices stick to the rounds.
4. Heat a little avocado oil in a frying pan, add the eggplant slices and fry for about two minutes. Check regularly that they don’t get too brown.
7. Turn them over and cook the other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
8. Place on a serving dish and garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve with some paneer, guacamole or yogurt.
Check out this video demo of how to prepare this healthy and delicious keto spicy eggplant recipe.