This Mexican Skillet Recipe is perfect for those busy days where you won’t have the luxury of time to prepare a special meal. But, just because this recipe is quick and easy to prepare, it doesn’t mean it can’t be healthy.
In fact, this one-pan Mexican Skillet Recipe from Dani Spies, a holistic health, wellness, and weight loss coach and creator of Clean And Delicious blog, is a low carb recipe that’s also Paleo, Keto and Whole30 friendly.
Related reading: Paleo vs. Keto: Which is Best for Weight Loss?
You can even make it vegan or vegetarian by using beans instead of meat. Try kidney beans, black beans or pinto beans. Use vegetable broth or stock in place of the chicken stock or just water.
With 22.8 grams of carbs and 5.8 grams of dietary fiber per quarter serving, this skillet recipe will yield 17 grams of net carbs, which could fit well into your low carb diet depending on the level of carbs you adhere to.
Related reading: What Are Net Carbs And Why Are They Important?
This amount may not be so good for keto if you are just starting on the diet and are on a very low carbohydrate allowance. In that case you can leave the corn out and use a low carb vegetable instead.
Related reading: What Are the Best Low Carb Vegetables?
Although I’ve altered Dani’s original ingredient list to specify non-GMO corn in the according to EWG most sweet corn in the US has not been genetically engineered. Nevertheless it makes sense to make sure you avoid it as there is concern that it can damage our health.
Field corn on the other hand is a different matter. About 90 percent of American field corn crop is genetically engineered and it is used for making corn-based sweeteners, starches and oils in processed foods. You will be eating it if you eat those sort of products. Hopefully not!
Many popular brands of Taco seasoning contain sugar so beware of those. Tabanero brand is all natural, non-GMO, gluten and sugar free so is keto-friendly but you can use any make so long as it’s sugar free.
More Skillet Recipes
If you like skillet recipes then try this quick and easy low cab and keto Breakfast Skillet Recipe or you may like this tasty Low Carb Turkey Zucchini Skillet Recipe.
Mexican Skillet Recipe
• 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
• 1 tbsp avocado oil
• ½ red organic onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 organic bell peppers, chopped
• 3 tbsp taco seasoning
• Redmond Real Sea Salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 cups organic cauliflower rice
• 1 can organic fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
• ¾ cup fresh or frozen non-GMO sweet corn
• 1 cup organic chicken broth, low sodium
• 1 cup shredded organic cheese (a combination of cheddar and Monterray Jack)
1. Cook the onions and garlic in the oil which you’ve heated in a large non-toxic, non-stick skillet. Season llightly with sea salt and cook for 4 – 5 minutes.
2. Once they appear translucent push them to one side of the pan. Add the ground beef and sprinkle with the taco seasoning and some more salt and pepper. Using a wooden spatula, break the ground beef up so there are no lumps left and the seasoning is mixed in evenly.
3. When the meat has turned brown, add the riced cauliflower, along with tomatoes, bell peppers, and chicken broth. Season with more salt and pepper, then mix all ingredients well.
4. Cover the skillet and simmer for up to ten minutes or until the cauliflower and pepper are tender.
5. Finally, add the corn and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Cover again for two more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Dani’s video of how to prepare this delicious Mexican Skillet Recipe.