This hearty vegan curry soup is the ultimate comfort food for those following a plant-based keto diet. The easy soup recipe is made with aromatic curry spices and coconut milk and can be prepared in just over 30 minutes.
Related reading: What Are the Best Low Carb Vegetables?
Related Reading: How to Calculate Macros for Weight Loss
Although Christine Elise uses curly kale in the recipe you can use what ever kind you like. She wanted to have more good fiber in the soup so didn’t want to use baby kale.
Related reading: Fiber on Keto – Why Is It So Important?
You can use other low carb vegetables such as zucchini instead of carrots if they are going to make this soup too high in carbs for you.
Although Christine Elize mentions using kale for the fiber it also contains many important nutrients and antioxidants which can help to protect you against cancer.
Related reading: Health Benefits of Kale and Spinach for Keto
One thing about kale that many people don’t know is that it contains bile acid sequestrants. These can bind bile acids in the digestive system and prevent them from being reabsorbed.
This lowers cholesterol levels and can lead to a reduced risk of heart disease if you eat it regularly. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, cauliflower, collards, eggplant, green beans, mustard greens and okra all contain bile acid sequestrants so make sure to eat plenty of them.
A few years ago some turmeric powder was found to contain lead and some brands were taken off the market. I hope things have improved since then but it’s hard to know if manufacturers are taking care to test the turmeric they obtain.
It’s a good idea then to contact the manufacturer of the brand you intend to buy to see if their turmeric powder has been screened for toxic metals and especially lead. Lead is a very toxic metal and can build up in the body if you eat a lot of curries that contain it.
Vegan Curry Soup
Makes 6 generous portions
- 1 to 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 organic carrots, diced
- 1 head of curly kale, cenral ribs removed and finely chopped
- 1 organic cauliflower head, chopped into florets
- 5 to 6 ounces of coconut milk
- 8 to 10 cups organic vegan stock
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp good quality curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Redmond Real Sea Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 400F/200C.
2. Place the cauliflower florets in a baking tray and spray with some healthy cooking oil or toss well in some avocado oil. Place in the preheated oven and roast for up to 30 min until just beginning to brown. Becareful not to overcook.
3. Allow to oool then rice the cauliflower by pulsing it a few times in a food processor or by hand with a grater. Set aside.
4. Next, heat the avocado oil in a pan and sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic and spices. Stir for a minute to mix well, then add the rest of the ingredients except salt and pepper.
5. Bring the vegan curry soup to a boil, then simmer until the carrots become tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. If the soup becomes too thick, add more water or stock.
6. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Christine Elise’s video demo of how this delicious vegan curry soup is prepared.