Now that it’s the fall season, the pumpkin spice latte craze is back in full swing. This delicious latte was made famous by Starbucks in 2003 and they are said to have sold more than 200 million cups of this famous drink!
If you’re an avid fan of this drink but are worried that it might ruin your diet now that you’re following the ketogenic lifestyle, then fret not. You can actually prepare a much healthier and low-carb version of this delicious drink that will not spike your blood sugar right in your own kitchen.
As I said last week when I wrote about the Delicious Low Carb Pumpkin Pie Recipe, you might think that pumpkin is high carb but it is in fact considered a low-carb food. It’s the way that it is often prepared in pies and caramelized with butter and brown sugar that makes people think it’s high-carb and gives it a bad reputation.
Pumpkins are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and have a lot less starch and sugar than butternut or acorn squash.
Here’s the recipe from Kelsey, a self-proclaimed cooking and pun connoisseur, over at Cooking is Pun.
Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Take note that this recipe is a two-step process. The first step is preparing the creamer while the second step is for the cinnamon coffee.
• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
• 1 cup pumpkin puree (organic if possible)
• 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. Stevia extract
• 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any other non dairy milk)
• 2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
• 2 tbsp. natural vanilla extract
• 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/4 cup medium ground good quality coffee
1. Pour all ingredients in a heavy bottomed pan and cook over medium heat.
2. Whisk the ingredients together and cook for about 20 min. After 20 min, take the pot from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Blend the creamer in a blender for 1 to 3 minutes, until it creates a velvety smooth texture.
4. Transfer to a mason jar or an airtight container for storage.
1. Place the ground coffee and cinnamon into a French Press (cafetière) then pour boiling water. Leave to steep for about 3 to 6 min.
2. Grab the creamer from the Mason jar and pour 1/3 cup into a large coffee mug along with a cup of the cinnamon coffee.
3. Top with coconut cream or whipped cream, and sprinkle some cinnamon!
Check out the video for this recipe:
Want more delicious low carb recipes?
Check out the Keto in Five bundle and start your weight loss journey today! You get 120 low carb recipes – 30 breakfasts, 30 lunches, 30 dinners & 30 desserts! 5 is the limit of ingredients and grams of net carbs per serving for EVERY recipe! I’m not sure how long the offer will be on for but right now you can get Keto in Five for 42% off!