Pancakes are generally very high in carbs, but this low carb almond flour pancakes recipe is lower. As the name suggests, these pancakes are made using almond flour, yet they taste like the real thing.
They also contain tapioca starch, giving them a light and fluffy texture, but without the dreaded carbs. And, despite being low in carbs, these pancakes have a naturally sweet flavor. Plus, they contain sugar-free maple syrup and vanilla extract to give them a subtly sweet taste.
So, if you’ve been craving pancakes but are scared about ruining your low carb diet, this almond flour pancakes recipe from Dani, Health, Wellness & Weight Loss Coach, is just what you need.
These pancakes are best made with super fine blanched almond flour. Together with the tapioca flour it helps to make them light and fluffy.
Tapioca flour or starch comes from the cassava plant which is a root vegetable that is native to South America. You may know it as yucca or manioc.
As a root veg you might wonder if it is high in carbs and the answer is yes it is. Some keto experts say it is not really keto friendly at all because of the carbs it contains. However this whole recipe only contains 2 tablespoons of it.
If you can’t find tapioca flour then you can use arrowroot instead but that also comes from a root and is high in carbs. Both are gluten free and are often used in low carb and keto recipes for breads and cakes.
Related reading: Low Carb Bread Recipes – Gluten Free & Keto
I calculate the net carbs in a serving of 3 pancakes as being 18 grams which is on the high side for keto but Dani states that the net carbs is 14 grams. She says that you can reduce the net carbs to 10 grams per serving if you use a zero carb sweetener.
I really depends on what level of carbs you are on to stay in ketosis as to whether or not you can eat some of these pancakes. If they are too high in carbs for you then try this recipe for Low Carb Almond Pancakes With Raspberry Sauce which does not call for tapioca flour.
For a flourless pancake try these Keto Pancakes with Berries or this Easy Keto Cream Cheese Pancakes Recipe.
These low carb almond flour pancakes can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until wanted. They freeze well too. Just reheat them in a warm oven.
Low Carb Almond Flour Pancakes
- 1 cup super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 organic/pastured egg
- 1 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1. Place the almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients using a fork.
2. Whisk the egg, unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened maple syrup, and vanilla extract in another bowl.
3. Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry until everything come together.
4. Place a little coconut oil or butter in a non-toxic, non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Pour about ¼ cup pancake batter into the pan to make a small to medium size pancake.
5. Allow to cook for two or three minutes until you see the edges start to puff and the bottom becomes golden brown. Flip the pancakes and cook for two more minutes or until they are cooked through. Repeat until you have used all the batter.
6. Serve and enjoy with your favorite low carb toppings.
Check out Dani’s video demo of this delicious almond flour pancakes keto recipe.