If you’re following keto or a low carb diet, this Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Bake will satisfy your cravings for Chicken Alfredo pasta. While it does not have regular pasta, it tastes so good that you won’t even miss the pasta at all.
Related reading: What is Palmini Pasta and is it Keto?
You can also use any low-carb pasta alternative instead of cauliflower. This Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Bake from Sarah of CJ’s Keto Kitchen is crispy, delicious, and a true comfort food classic that everyone is guaranteed to love! It’s easy to prepare, and you can make the sauce in advance and reheat it when it’s time to eat.
Related reading: What are The Best Pasta Alternatives for a Low Carb Diet?
I wondered what the word “alfedo” actually meant but when I searched I got a lot of different stories about it. It is said to be an Italian sauce made with butter and parmesan cheese invented by a young cook named Alfredo di Lelio.
In spite of it supposedly being an Italian sauce they say that you will not find it in Italy! The closest you will get to it is Fetuccini Alfredo. The American version of the sauce has been attributed to the actors Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks and is usually made with the addition of heavy cream and garlic.
The chicken can be from any part of the chicken you choose and cooked any way. I have tweaked the original recipe and added the word organic as it is healthier. Organic cauliflower is too if you can get it.
Luckily cauliflower is not on EWG’s Dirty Dozen list but it’s not on the Clean Fifteen list either! In face it’s been removed from the Clean Fifteen list as it has not been tested for peasticide residue by the USDA for about sever years.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable and contains sulforaphane, which induces the Phase 2 liver detox enzymes. It also contains the natural compound indole which researchers have found can help reduce fat in the liver. It also acts on intestinal cells which send out signals that can help to reduce inflammation.
You could substitute shrimp or salmon for the chicken if you prefer or to make a change. You could add other vegetables to the dish too such as spinach, tomatoes, broccoli or mushrooms to increase your vegetable quota for the meal.
If you can’t get an Italian blend cheese then you could use a combination of Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese.
If you would like a pasta recipe then try this delicious Low Carb Zucchini Pasta With Avocado Sauce.
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Bake
- 2 lb cooked organic chicken
- 16 oz cooked organic cauliflower, chopped
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 8 oz Italian blend cheese shredded
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 5 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp chopped fresh herbs optional
- 2 cloves garlic or powdered equivalent
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Redmond Real Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C
- Steam the cauliflower until just tended then drain well before choping into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the cooked chicken into small pieces.
Prepare the Alfredo Sauce
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter then add the heavy cream.
- Let the cream heat and whisk well to incorporate the butter and cream.
- Add the fresh garlic and seasoning.
- Turn the heat off and slowly add the cheese while mixing constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Assemble the Alfredo Chicken Bake
- Using a 9 x 13 baking dish add the chicken and cauliflower.
- Pour the Alfredo sauce over them and combine.
- Add herbs and seasonings.
- Stir in the Italian blend cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Here’s Sarah’s video demo of this Keto Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Bake recipe.