One of the most popular 4th of July dessert recipes is fruit pizza. Now that the 4th of July is just around the corner, you’ll find plenty of fruit pizza recipes out there. They look so patriotic and irresistible in their red, white, and blue color.
The best thing about this recipe from Cathy Dean of Healthy Ambitions is that it’s ideal for those who are following a low carb diet like keto. The crust is made with coconut flour and Swerve sweetener, while the filling consists of cream cheese and heavy cream.
You can top it with any berries of your choice, but if you’re serving this fruit pizza for a 4th of July dinner, then the strawberries and blueberries are the most ideal toppings!
If you want some inspiration for other tasty dishes for your 4th July celebrations then check out these Healthy 4th July Recipes for Keto.
Pesticide residue on strawberries
It’s best to buy organic strawberries as they are top of EWG’s Dirty Dozen for pesticide residue. If you can’t get organic then you can remove most of the pesticides by soaking in a solution of baking soda.
Make the solution with one teaspoon of baking soda and two cups of water. In one study soaking for 12- 15 minutes removed most of the pesticides from apples. Rinse well after soaking. Doing this will not spoil the fruit if you do it carefully.
In her instructions Cathy says to press the pizza base mixture into a round glass pie dish but in the video demo you see her rolling the dough out into a square shape before baking on a baking sheet. You can make it any shape you want.
To save time you can prepare and bake the base in advance. Just cover and keep in the fridge for a day or two.
Fruit Pizza Recipe
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick or 8 tablespoons softened, salted grass-fed butter
- ½ cup Swerve sweetener
- ½ teaspoon liquid stevia
- 2 large organic pastured egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Filling and Toppings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 4 tablespoon organic cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 to 16 ounces of your favorite berries (organic if possible)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. (175°C)
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Add the rest of the dough ingredients to the bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer until all ingredients are combined well. The dough will look a bit crumbly, but if you start mixing it with a spatula it should come in together nicely.
4. Press the pizza dough into a greased pie dish and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges turn to a golden brown color.
5. Remove the dough from the oven and let it cool completely.
6. While cooling down, combine the heavy cream, cream cheese, stevia, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl using a hand mixer. Beat well until it develops into a consistency similar to frosting.
7. Once the crust has cooled off, spread the filling into it. Then arrange the berries for topping. Keep chilled until about an hour before serving. The flavors are better when at room temperature.
Check out Cathy’s demo video of the fruit pizza recipe.