This Italian Roasted Broccoli Recipe is a great low carb side dish to prepare for the holiday. Broccoli is not only low in carbs, it is also loaded with nutrients.
It’s a brassica vegetable so is good for liver detox. Broccoli, like cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, contains several compounds that increase the activity of the Phase 2 detoxification system.
While you may have seen articles claiming that we do not need to do anything to increase detoxification because our livers and kidneys are already good at it there is a surprising amount of research to uphold its validity.
Many people have slow detox pathways due to their genetics and many are deficient in the nutrients needed for the optimal function of the detox system because of their diets and lifestyles.
The keto diet is a form of detox diet because toxins are stored in fat cells and as the fat is used to produce energy in place of glucose the toxins are released. It pays to make sure you eat these low carb vegetables to help with their detoxification from your body.
In his book Total Wellness Joseph Pizzorno, ND, states:
The presence in the body of various types of toxic chemicals, heavy metals, partially broken down metabolites, bacterial toxins, and bacterial wall components has now been correlated with specific diseases and syndromes.
These brassica vegetables are also valuable in preventing cancer. It’s a great vegetable to add to your keto diet.
It’s an easy veggie to source since it’s readily available in supermarkets near you. Above all, it is very cheap although it’s best to get organic if you can.
So if you’re looking for a low carb side dish recipe that will not cost you a lot of money, this tasty Italian Roasted Broccoli recipe from Kathleen Hart of lil Piece of Hart is worth a try.
I have swapped the olive oil that Kathleen uses in the recipe to avocado oil because it’s best not to heat olive oil if you want to retain its health benefits.
Many health experts say it should not be heated above 356F (180C) either. Avocado oil can be heated to a higher temperature without damaging it.
Italian Roasted Broccoli Recipe
• 4 cups broccoli florets (organic is best if you can get it)
• 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 cup whole milk shredded mozzarella
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 tablespoon avocado oil
• 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 tablespoon salted grass-fed butter
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425F (218C approx).
2. Cover a large sheet pan with tin foil and spray with good quality cooking spray. Arrange your broccoli.
3. Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
4. Toss well to ensure that the vegetables are coated well. Spread in the pan in a layer.
5. Roast the broccoli in the oven for about 15 min. Make sure you keep an eye so the vegetables will not burn.
6. Remove from the oven.
7. Toss your Italian roasted broccoli with the butter. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake for another 5 min.
9. Remove from the oven and your Italian roasted broccoli is ready to be served!
Here’s a video demo of this recipe:
Image by Carolyn Gailor.