Keto beef and broccoli is a very popular recipe among keto dieters. That’s because this classic dish is made with two ingredients that are keto-friendly.
Beef is a good source of protein for the ketogenic diet while broccoli is a low-carb vegetable that contains only 3 g of net carbs per serving. Of course, both grass-fed beef and broccoli are highly nutritious too.
This Asian style keto beef and broccoli recipe from Sahil Makhija of Headbangers Kitchen is so easy to make. You can eat it with a serving of cauliflower rice or zucchini fries or noodles eat it on its own.
Aside from the beef and broccoli, this recipe also includes those delectable oyster mushrooms which are very low in carbs. So, you can be sure it will not put you out of ketosis.
You need to use a very tender cut of beef for this dish and preferably grass-fed so you get all the right ratio of fats.
Related reading: What’s So Good About Grass-Fed Meat?
Note On Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is not strictly keto friendly. Only 1 tablespoon is used in this recipe which contains about 1 gram net carbs so it should not be a problem. it could be though if you use a lot of it. Personally I’d use Tamari soy sauce which is gluten free.
Related reading: What Are Net Carbs And Why Are They Important?
If you don’t want to use soy sauce at all you could use coconut aminos to give it that umami flavor and has fewer carbs.
In the original recipe Sahil says to microwave the broccoli but that’s not a good idea. Researchers have found that microwaving destroys the antioxidants in broccoli and you don’t want to do that. Steaming is the best way to retain all the nutrients.
For this recipe you just want to soften the broccoli a little before you quickly stir fry it so it’s not too chewy. You are only going to stir-fry it for a minute after adding it to the beef and mushrooms.
Keto Beef and Broccoli
• 250 g Beef filet steak (tenderloin)
• 75 g Organic broccoli florets
• 100 g Oyster mushrooms
• 1 Spring onion, trimmed and chopped
• 1 tbsp. Grass-fed Butter
• 1 tbsp. Avocado oil
• 1 tbsp. Gluten free Soy Sauce (Tamari)
• 1 tbsp. Vinegar
• 5 g Garlic
• 5 g Ginger
• Five Spice Powder
• Himalayan or Real salt (avoid plastic fibers in regular salt)
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter and avocado oil in a wok. Stir fry the white spring onion, ginger, and garlic.
2. Add the oyster mushrooms. Sauté until they begin to caramelize.
3. Add the beef and fry. Then season with five-spice powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Steam the broccoli for about 2 min. Then add to the wok.
5. Pour the vinegar and soy sauce. Add the green spring onion.
6. Put on high heat and stir for another minute.
7. Your keto beef and broccoli is now cooked and ready to serve.
Here’s a video demo of the recipe: