Keto breakfast burritos are some of the most popular breakfast meals for those on a low carb diet. They are a low carb version of the traditional breakfast burrito, a staple breakfast food in America.
While the original version uses flour tortillas, the keto breakfast burritos use low carb alternatives. For instance, this recipe uses Egglife Wraps, which have zero carbs.
Are Burritos Good For Keto?
Burritos consist of a tortilla wrap filled with a variety of ingredients. Tortillas are traditionally made using corn, although the more modern recipes use white flour. After grinding the flour, water and salt are added to make the dough. It is then flattened out into thin wraps and cooked on a flat surface.
Whether made from corn or white flour, tortillas are high in carbs, so they are unsuitable for the keto diet. In fact, a pre-packaged tortilla made from wheat flour contains 26 grams of total carbs, which is absolutely not ideal if you are following a keto diet.
What Are Egglife Wraps?
To make these keto breakfast burritos low carb, a low carb wrap called Egglife Wraps was used. These wraps are made of 95% egg whites and are the perfect low carb alternative wrap-based snacks, including tortillas.
Unlike the usual tortillas, which are high in carbs, these wraps have no carbs. They are also rich in protein, perfect for the keto diet. Even though they do not contain flour, you will be surprised that the taste and texture are almost similar to the original high carb ones!
Other Low Carb Tortilla Alternatives for Keto Breakfast Burritos
Aside from the Egglife Wraps, there are other low carb alternatives for making keto breakfast burritos. For example, you can make tortillas using low carb flour like almond or coconut flour.
You will find many recipes online and several on this blog such as this Almond Flour Low Carb Tortillas recipe or these Coconut Flour Wraps
But if you don’t have the time to make your own, you could purchase these Guerrero Zero Net Carbs High Fiber Tortillas.
Keto Breakfast Burritos Recipe
Once you have decided on the type of low carb tortilla to use, it’s time to make the keto breakfast burritos. Here’s the tasty recipe from Joe Duff The Diet Chef.
Joe cooks the bacon with water in the pan to stop it heating up too quickly and to prevening it burning while you crisp it up.
As usual I have tweaked the recipe ingredients a little to include some organic ingredients for added health benefits.
I’ve stipulated nitrate free bacon as The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said bacon cured with nitrites is as dangerous as asbestos and smoking, as nitrites produce carcinogenic nitrosamines when ingested.
Prof Chris Elliott, the director of the Institute for Global Food Safety at Queen’s University in Belfast says:
Nitrites are found in many foods and can be perfectly harmless. But when they are used to cure bacon, and that bacon is then cooked and ingested, they produce carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach.
There is some controvery over these statements but I think it’s better to err on the side of caution when it come to health don’t you?
Ingredients for Keto Breakfast Burritos
- 2 Original Egglife Wraps or low carb tortillas
- 2 large organic/pastured eggs
- 2 strips organic nitrate-free bacon
- 2 links good quality zero carb breakfast chicken sausage
- A little keto maple syrup
- A little unsweetened organic almond milk
- sour cream
- 0-carb cheese sauce
1. Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the bacon and enough water to just cover it. Cook until the water evaporates then turn the heat to low. Turn the bacon every couple of minutes until crisp on both sides. Place on some kitchen paper towel and keep warm. Leave the bacon fat in the pan.
2. Next, cook the sausage links in a small pan until browned on all sides. When cooked, add some keto maple syrup. Cook the sausages until they caramelize. Keep warm.
3. Crack the eggs into a bowl and add a little almond milk and keto maple syrup. Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add them into the pan containing a little of the bacon fat, cook over low heat and continuously mix the eggs until they are fluffy and just set how you like them.
4. Chop up the sausages and bacon. Add half with half the eggs to each of your low carb wraps. Add any other ingredients you want and wrap up. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Joe’s demo of the delicious Keto breakfast burritos recipe: