This recipe for keto enchiladas is a family favorite. It’s a modified version of the original enchilada recipe as it uses more keto-friendly ingredients.
For example, instead of using the usual high carb tortilla wraps the recipe calls for chicken deli slices. Even though this recipe uses different ingredients, this keto enchilada dish tastes as good as the real one. In fact, you don’t even need to be on the keto diet to appreciate this delicious dish!
This is an easy peasy recipe from Annie of KetoFocus to make on a weekday night. To make it even easier you don’t even have to make your own sauce. You could use a ready made sauce provided it was low carb.
Also you can use other cheese if you have some to hand.
And do make sure that the deli chicken is the best quality. It should not contain artificial additives or preservatives. Organic chicken or free range is best.
Pesticides in tomatoes?
In case you wonder why Annie uses whole tomatoes and then crushes them instead of using ready chopped ones she says they are less processed and therefore better.
I am not so sure it really makes much difference. I always use organic chopped tomatoes in recipes that I make. Regular tomatoes are one of the dirty dozen on EWG’s 2019 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce.
Also I would make sure that that the tomatoes are in a non BPA lined can. BPA is a chemical that is used to make plastic materials and is included in the linings used in some tin cans although many companies are now using non-BPA linings.
BPA is classified as hormone disruptor meaning that it could possibly interfere with our hormone systems. The Food Standards Agency in the UK state that the level of BPA found in food is not a concern to health as does the report from The U. S. National Toxicology Program.
However food is not the only source of BPA so it’s best to avoid it as much as possible. It is in a lot of plastic containers although many companies are phasing it out and making non BPA items but the chemicals still used in those may be just as harmful.
If you just love enchiladas then ring the changes with other enchilada recipe:
Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole. This one is made with cauliflower, chicken and salsa verde. It does not include a wrap of any sort.
- 10 to 12 slices of nitrate free deli chicken
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
- 1 cup organic beef broth
- ½ of a 28 oz can tomatoes
- 2 – 3 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 – 4 chipotle chilies in Adobo sauce (sugar free)
- 3 tbsp. cilantro (fresh coriander), chopped
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. Himalayan salt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 8 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese or other cheese you have to hand
- Heat a little of the avocado oil in a skillet then cook the onions. Once the onions are softened, add the garlic.
- Cook until they produce fragrant smell. Take off from heat and place in a bowl.
- Using the same pan, add the tomatoes then pour in the beef broth. Add the chilies and a teaspoon of cumin. Crush the tomatoes as they are being cooked. When the mixture is well mixed and is starting to bubble remove the pan from heat.
- Place the cooled ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Using another skillet, using a little more avocado oil, cook the ground beef on medium high heat breaking it up with a wooden spatula or spoon until crumbly. Then add the coriander, cumin, salt, and the blended onion mixture. Continue cooking until the ground meat turns brown. Take off from heat and place in a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, 1/4 cup of the sauce, and the cheese. Mix and combine with the ground beef.
- Assemble the keto enchiladas. To do this, pour enough sauce in an 8 x 12 dish. Take a slice of chicken in your hand and add some of the ground beef mixture to the middle then roll up. Place on the sauce in the dish and repeat the process until all the chicken slices are used up.
- Once you’ve arranged everything, pour the rest of the sauce over the enchilada rolls spreading out evenly with a spoon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake at 400°F (200°C ) for around 15 min.
Here’s a video demo of the keto enchiladas recipe: