If you’re looking for low carb snacks that the entire family will enjoy, take a look at this Keto Crackers Recipe.
Those commercially made cheese crackers are usually loaded with carbs and unhealthy fats, which is why followers of low carb diets avoid them.
They are made with coconut flour which makes a change from almond flour and ensures the crackers are light and crisp.
Coconuts are not true nuts so can often be eaten by people with nut allergies. The flour is gluten free too.
Related reading: Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Keto
Make sure that the coconut flour you buy has no additives or sweeteners. That wouldn’t do for this recipe and you wouldn’t want any artificial sweeteners for any diet. This coconut flour is organic and can also be used for low carb pancakes, waffles and cookies.
Related reading: Should you Avoid Food Additives On a Low Carb Diet?
Coconut flour tends to form small clumps, so be sure to fluff it with a fork before measuring and mixing. It absorbs more liquid than almond flour but this recipe compensates for that.
They are handy to serve with cheese or spread them with mashed avocado, guacamole or salsa for a quick snack.
Related reading: Avocados Benefits for Weight Loss
In fact, it’s a great snack to serve on Superbowl Sunday as well as parties and holidays. The crackers are so delicious and crisp and taste just like the real thing.
Notes on basil
Basil is a member of the mint family and gives a bit of zest to the crackers. If you don’t have any fresh basil you can use dried but you only need about 1/3 of the amount in the recipe as the flavor will be more concentrated.
Keto Crackers Recipe
• 6 tablespoon grass-fed butter at room temperature
• 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup Cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup coconut flour (this one is organic)
• 2 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C) and line the baking sheets with non-bleached parchment paper.
2. Add the softened butter and the heavy cream to a medium sized bowl. Combine both together using a hand mixer.
3. Add the Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses. Combine the ingredients together using a spatula. Add the coconut flour and combine well again.
4. Fold in the chopped basil.
5. Get a piece of the parchment paper and place it on your counter top. Lay the cheese dough in the center. Shape it into a ball using your hands.
6. Place another parchment paper over the dough and roll the mixture into about 1/4-inch thick. Carefully remove the top layer of parchment and with the use of a small cookie cutter, cut 24 crackers out of the dough. Gently remove each cutout and place them into the baking sheets. Roll out the remaining dough and cut some more.
7. Bake the crackers for up to 12 min. Towards the end, keep a close eye on them to make sure they won’t burn or get overcooked. Allow to cool before serving.
Note – Avoid using finely shredded Cheddar for this Keto Crackers Recipe. The Cheddar should be largely shredded so you can produce more crackers.
Here’s a video demo of this recipe: