If you love tacos but are looking for a keto tacos recipe that’s both delicious and healthy, then this is the one for you.
As you no doubt know the taco wrap or outer shell is usually made from either corn or wheat flour although experts argue that the original Mexican taco was made with corn tortillas.
Origins of Tacos
No one knows the origin of tacos but they were probably first introduced into the United States buy Mexican immigrants in the 19th century.
Tacos have changed a lot since then. The original Mexican taco is said to have consisted of a soft corn tortilla filled with a few simple ingredients such as some kind of grilled meat, but never ground beef, some lettuce, and topped with finely diced white onion and fresh cilantro. Lime wedges were often served on the side.
American tacos on the other hand contain all sorts of additional toppings including piles of cheese and salsas. Some are vegetarian and are filled with beans and rice.
Breakfast tacos may be filled with eggs and chorizo which would be fine for a keto diet if the taco was made with cheese .
Whatever the case so long as they are tasty I don’t think it matters if they are authentic or not do you?
The recipe uses low-carb ingredients, yet everyone is guaranteed to love this healthy treat. In fact some say the filling tastes just like the traditional Mexican taco and of course it’s guaranteed to be keto-friendly!
Keto Tacos Recipe
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef, minced or chopped into small pieces.
- 12 oz. Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- ½ tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsps. chili powder
- ½ tbsp. granulated garlic
- 2 to 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsps. cumin
- Redmond Real Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce
- Sour Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. (176°C)
2. Line two large sheet pans with parchment paper.
3. Finely shred the Pepper Jack cheese or any of your preferred cheese such as Cheddar, or Monterey Jack.
4. Make piles of about two ounces of shredded cheese on each piece of parchment paper and spread out evenly to make about 6″ rounds.
5. Bake the cheese for about 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and the outer edges begin to brown a little and start to crisp.
6. Remove the cheese shells from the oven and place them into a taco rack or something similar to shape them like taco shells. Put them back into the oven and bake for a few more minutes to set in shape. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool a little.
7. While the shells are cooking, prepare the toppings.
8. To make the seasoning, combine the cumin, chili powder, paprika, granulated garlic, and onion powder. Mix well.
9. Brown the beef mince over medium-high heat and add the taco seasoning mix that you have prepared. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and continue to cook until until it the beef is completely cooked through.
10. When ready to serve spoon the meat mixture into the taco shells and top with sliced onion, chopped tomatoes and your favorite hot sauce or sour cream. Garnish with plenty of cilantro. Enjoy!
Check out this video demo of how to prepare this keto tacos recipe.