If you’re looking for a vegan or vegetarian keto recipe, try this tasty Keto Zucchini with Garlic. Inspired by a Spanish tapa dish called Calabacin al Ajillo, this dish is great for an appetizer or side.
Related reading: Vegetarian Keto Diet – How Does It Work?
What’s more, zucchinis are some of the healthiest veggies you can add to your keto diet. A cup of zucchinis contains only 3 grams of net carbs. Plus, they are a great source of Vitamin C and fiber.
Best of all, this delicious Keto Zucchini with Garlic recipe by Spaniard Albert Bevia of Spain on a Fork, is so easy to make!
Albert was born in Valencia, Spain but brought up in Calfornia and is now living back in Spain. He says he’s a self-taught cook and likes to share traditional Spanish dishes as well as dishes he’s created. He does not eat meat so all his recipes are vegetarian or vegan.
That’s unusual for a Spaniard because they are big meat eaters there. Whenever I’ve been to a restaurant in Spain I found that I always got a large serving of meat and not too many veg even though I always asked for extra veg.
This has always puzzled me because the food markets are full of lucious fruit and vegetables. You see the shoppers filling their baskets with vegetables so they must eat them at home.
I read in a travel book that Spaniards like to have a lot of meat when they go to a restaurant so they feel that they have had value for money.
Benefits of Zucchini (Courgettes)
Zucchini is another one of those fruits that we tend to think of and treat as a vegetable. It contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as well as soluble and insoluble fiber.
Related reading: Keto Diet Constipation : How To Combat It
Related reading: Low Carb Diet for Diabetics
Zucchini are rich in carotenoids which can help protect against heart disease. They also contain the antioxidants lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene which are particularly good for eye health.
You’ll see articles that say they are high in Vitamin A but that is not true. No plant food contains Vitamin A. Zucchinis contain the pro-vitamin A carotenoids, alpha-carotene and beta-carotene, which may get converted to Vitamin A in your body if needed.
Related reading: Plant-Based Keto For Best Weight Loss?
Zucchini are low in calories and carbs so make them ideal for the keto diet. They are low in fat also which is not so good but they can be cooked in some healthy fat which is needed to make the keto diet work.
Related reading: When To Eat Carbs For Weight Loss?
If you want another delicious vegetarian recipe using zucchini then try this Low Carb Zucchini Pasta With Avocado Sauce Recipe or these Keto Zucchini Fritters with Goat Cheese and Yogurt Sauce.
If you want a meat dish with zucchini then check out this delicious and easy to put together Low Carb Turkey Zucchini Skillet Recipe.
- 2 organic zucchinis
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (15 grams) fresh parsley
- Redmond Real Sea Salt
- Freshy ground black pepper
1. Wash and slice the two zucchinis into thick rounds, about ½” (1.25 cm) thick. Pat dry and season with sea salt on both sides, then place them in a colander and leave them to rest for 30 min.
2. Roughly chop the garlic cloves and fresh parsley, then place them into a mortar. Add a small amount of sea salt. Pound them with your mortar until well combined, then set them aside.
3. When the 30 minutes is up place the zucchinis on paper towels and pat them dry with more towels. Season one side of the zucchinis with black pepper.
4. Heat the frying pan medium-high heat. After about three minutes, add 2 tbsp of the avocado oil. Add some of the zucchini slices to the pan taking care not to overcrowd it. After about 2½ minutes, flip the zucchini slices to fry the other side.
While they are cooking for another 2½ minutes line a large dish with paper towels. Then remove the from the pan and transfer to the lined dish. Repeat with the remaining zuccini until they have all been cooked.
5. Using the same pan, set on medium heat add the remaining 1 tbsp avocado oil and the garlic and parsley mixture. Mix well and cook for about 30 seconds. Place the zucchini on a serving dish and spread the garlic and parsley mixture evenly over the cooked zucchinis.
Here’s Albert’s video demo of this delicious Spanish Keto Zucchini with Garlic recipe: