If you’re looking for a low carb side dish to go with your meat-based main dish, then this low carb coleslaw recipe would be perfect!
There are a number of different variations for coleslaw recipes that you can find online but if you want a low carb, keto-friendly version, this low carb coleslaw recipe from the folks at Ruled.me would be a great one to try.
They call it Buffalo coleslaw which is a spicy version of traditional coleslaw. For this recipe, the dressing is made with apple cider vinegar, a spicy hot sauce such as Frank’s which is keto approved, and a good quality mayonnaise.
The result is a spicy, tangy, and creamy salad that can go well with any of your favorite low carb dishes. Here’s a couple you could try:
It’s best to use a good quality mayonnaise for this and of course one without sugar. Many so called “real mayonnaise” products are made with refined sunflower oil which is not healthy.
Related reading: 6 Damaging Effects Of Sugar On Your Body
Originally mayonnaise was made with good quality olive oil but because of bad weather conditions causing poor olive harvests in recent years it’s become expensive so manufacturers have switched to cheaper refined sunflower oil.
Some contain refined canola oil or soy oil which are unhealthy and have added sugar so beware of those too.
Avocado oil mayo
Better quality low carb versions such as Primal Kitchen’s Mayo with avocado oil are made with 100% avocado oil which is keto approved.
Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo is made with avocado oil but does contain a touch of honey so it depends on how low a carb diet you are sticking to if you want to use it or not.
Of course you could make your own. It’s not that difficult to make and here’s a recipe for a homemade Quick Sugar Free Mayonnaise that’s low carb, keto and Paleo friendly.
Related reading: Best Fats To Eat On A Low Carb Diet
Here’s the recipe for this tasty coleslaw.
Low Carb Coleslaw Recipe
Makes approx 6 x 1 cup servings.
• ½ large green cabbage, thinly sliced
• ½ medium-sized white onion, finely diced
• 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
• ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
• ¼ cup hot sauce such as Frank’s (keto approved)
• ¼ cup good quality low carb mayonnaise like Primal Kitchen Mayo
• 2 large finely diced ribs celery
• 2 tbsp. chopped chives
1. Mix the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. You may have to adjust the amount of hot sauce you use according to the brand. Best to taste it as you make it so it’s not too hot for your or your guests tastes.
2. In another bowl, toss together the green cabbage, white onion, celery, half of the chives and half of blue cheese.
3. Taste the dressing before combing with the salad vegetables.
4. Serve with a drizzle of hot sauce and sprinkle the remaining chives and blue cheese on top.
5. If you like your coleslaw crunch serve right away. If you don’t mind it a little softer then you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.
Here’s the video demo of the recipe: