Mason jar ice cream has become everyone’s favorite lately, from adults to kids. If you are following the keto diet, don’t fret. As with anything else, there’s a low-carb version of this ice cream.
This low-carb keto strawberry ice cream is of course sugar-free, yet it tastes just as good as the store-bought ice cream and is so much healthier. It only takes only a few minutes to prepare, is absolutely delicious and creamy and you don’t need an ice cream maker for it.
You need a 16 oz mason jar to make this recipe from Joe Duff. The recipe calls for Swerve Confectioners as the zero carb sweetener but if you’re not going to eat the ice cream the same day then it’s best to use Allulose instead of Swerve.
Related reading: 4 Best Natural Low Carb Sweeteners
Related reading: What is Allulose Sweetener and is it Keto?
This is because the ice cream sets hard when made with Swerve. Alternatively you could replace about 2 tsp of the Swerve with Xylitol.
It’s best to use natural coloring in food. If you use this natural red coloring take care how much you use at it can make the icec ream look purple instead of pink if you use too much.
Strawberries are one of the worst fruits for pesticide residue so it’s best to use organic ones. Tests done on strawberries by USDA’s Pesticide Data Program found that:
99 percent of samples had detectable residues of at least one pesticide and 30 percent had residues of 10 or more pesticides. Strawberry samples contained residues of 81 different pesticides in various combinations.
Some of these pesticides are linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental damage, hormone disruption and neurological problems. Best to avoid them if you can don’t you think?
Your ice cream will be so much healthier if you can get organic cream as well.
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
If you prefer chocolate ice cream you can omit the strawberries, strawberry extract and red color and use 1 1/2 Tbsps (7g) unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tsp natural vanilla extract instead. You should also reduce the Confectioners Swerve to 2 Tbsps (24g).
Alternatively follow this recipe for no-churn Keto Chocolate Ice Cream. or this Keto Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream recipe
Keto Mason Jar Ice Cream
- 2 medium-sized organic strawberries, about 40g
- 1 cup (235ml) organic heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5g) natural strawberry extract
- 1/8 teaspoon natural red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons (24g) confectioners Swerve
1. First, wash and chop the strawberries. Place them in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Next, place the Mason jar on a scale and measure the rest of the ingredients.
3. After adding the ingredients to the jar, add the strawberries you chopped earlier and shake the jar for several minutes.
4. Once the heavy cream has thickened up and has almost doubled its size, place the mason jar ice cream in the freezer and freeze for 4 to 5 hours.
If you are not going to eat it the same day then see the recipe notes above for an alternative sweetener that prevents it freezing rock hard.
Here’s Joe’s video demo of this keto strawberry Mason jar ice cream recipe.