This sesame bread is perfect for a low carb diet. Sesame seeds are a great choice for low carb diets like keto since they are high in healthy fats and low in carbs. Also, they are packed with anti-inflammatory antioxidants, which help protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Related reading: Best Fats To Eat On A Low Carb Diet
While many would think that sesame bread is similar to scallion pancakes, this bread is different. The bread is thinner and has a strong nutty taste with the flavorful aroma of the scallion.
This recipe is from Peppy Droopy who does not reveal her real name but she says that her recipes will pep you up when you’re feeling droppy! Ha ha!
This bread which originated from Northern China is made with almond flour, xanthan gum, mozzarella cheese, and other keto-friendly ingredients.
You can leave out the xanthan gum if you don’t have it but as there is no gluten in the recipe it helps to hold the bread together and makes the bread more like regular bread.
I used to think that scallions were the same as what we call Spring onions in the UK but they are apparently not. Scallions are younger and do not have a white bulb at the end whereas Spring onions do.
Scallions are the same as green onions although some sites say that green onions are grown for longer than scallions which are quite young plants.
Whichever you can get should be fine. Both have a mild flavor compared with regular onions. Chinese scallions are very long and thin.
This recipe calls for toasted sesame seeds. This enhances their nutty flavor and makes them crunchier.
Apart from this the health benefit of eating toasted or roasted sesame reduces oxalates and phytates, compounds they contain, which can interfere with your digestion and absorption of the protein in them.
As already mentioned sesame seeds are high in healthy fats, protein and antioxidants but also contain B vitamins, minerals and fiber.
If you can’t get roasted or toasted sesame and only have unroasted you can easily toast them yourself.
Preheat the oven to 350F /176°C. Place the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown, stirring gently once. Watch them carefully as the seeds can burn very quickly.
For a completely different but delicious type of bread try this Keto Egg White Bread.
Sesame Bread with Scallions
- 2 oz Almond flour
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp melted lard (do not substitute, or the texture and flavor will be different)
- 1 organic/pastured egg
- ½ tsp Redmond Real Sea Salt, divided
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 scallion (green onion), chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 176°C
2. While the oven is heating, place the lard in the oven in a baking dish to melt. When the oven has reached the right temperature remove the melted lard and set it aside.
3. Combine the almond flour, half the salt, Xantham gum, and baking powder in a bowl.
4. Place the mozzarella cheese in a cold skillet, then stir over medium heat until the cheese is fully melted. Turn the heat to low and add the almond flour mixture.
5. Using a spatula, mix the cheese and the dry ingredients together until it forms a fully mixed dough.
6. Place the dough in a mixing bowl. Beat the egg, pour half into the dough, and knead by hand until the egg and dough are well combined.
7. Roll the dough to a ball shape and place it on some unbleached parchment paper. Press the dough gently to form a round shape. Place a piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough to about an ⅛” thick oval.
8. Brush lard over the entire surface of the dough.
9. Sprinkle the chopped scallions, ¾ tbsp of the sesame seeds and the remainder of the salt on top of the dough.
10. Gently roll the dough into a log with your hands and scraping off any dough stuck on the parchment. Start to fold one thin end of the log in a spiral to the other end. Best to watch the video to see how this is done.
11. Press or roll the spiral to about half an inch round shape using parchment paper and place on a baking tray.
12. Bake the sesame bread for 20 – 3o min or until the bread turns to a golden color.
13. Remove the bread from the oven and leave it to cool a little before serving. It’s best eaten on its own.
Here’s the video demo of how to prepare this tasty sesame bread.