If you’re looking for a delicious and filling salad that’s ideal for the keto diet, look no further than this bacon and egg salad for keto from Vanjo Merano. Its two main ingredients, bacon and eggs, are very suitable for the ketogenic diet.
Bacon is low in carbs but high in fat and protein. Meanwhile, good quality eggs are a healthy food that can fit nicely into a low carb diet since they are high in protein but have virtually no carbs.
Vanjo, although living in Chicago, loves to share the best Filipino and Asian recipes on his Panlasang Pinoy blog and his videos. The meaning of his blog title in English is Filipino Taste
Recipe Notes for Bacon and Egg Salad
This bacon and egg salad for keto recipe is very versatile. You can, for example, add other low carb ingredients such as lettuce or celery. You can also use it as a filling for your low carb bread to make a tasty sandwich.
Vanjo says that by cooking the eggs as in the directions below it prevents a grey line forming around the yolk that you sometimes get. It can spoil the look of the salad so be warned!
Healthiest salad tips
For the healthiest salad it’s best to use organic or pastured eggs. The bacon should be from free range pigs. Look for outdoor reared or outdoor bred.
I believe that nitrate free bacon is best too but some say that even that can be bad for you. According to Dave Asprey both types of bacon contain amines that can become nitrosamines in your body. They are compounds that can cause cancer.
Nitrosamines can also be created directly in foods through cooking at high heat such as frying bacon until very crisp. Better to not to overcook it then.
It is important to remember though that we get nitrates from vegetables and they are healthy. Your body produces nitric oxide from it which has health benefits such as better circulation and lower blood pressure.
Amanda Cross, a reader in cancer epidemiology at Imperial College, London states:
We have observed increased risks associated with nitrate and nitrite from meats for some cancers, but we haven’t observed risks associated with nitrates or nitrites from vegetables – at least in large observational studies where intake is estimated from self-reported questionnaires.
If you are looking for inspiration for other salads that are suitable for a keto or low carb diet then check out these 14 Keto Salad Recipes.
Bacon and Egg Salad
- 6 organic/pastured eggs
- ½ pound free range nitrate free bacon
- ¾ cup good quality organic mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded sharp organic cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 2 tsp chopped scallions
- Redmond Real Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Water for boiling the eggs
Directions for Bacon and Egg Salad
1. To cook the eggs place water in a saucepan and add the eggs. Cover the pan and bring the water to a rapid boil then turn off the heat. Allow the eggs to remain in the pan for 10 minutes. Pour off the hot water and add ice cold water to the pan to stop the eggs cooking further. Leave for a further 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime cook the bacon in a large frying pan on medium heat for three minutes on each side or until the rashers are crisp. Remove from pan and place in a bowl.
3. While the bacon is cooking peel the eggs then chop them into neat pieces. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
4. To make the dressing add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, black pepper, and red onion to a bowl. Mix all ingredients well then add the chopped eggs, bacon slices, cheese, and scallions. Carefully fold the mixture until well combined taking care not to break up the eggs.
4. Transfer the bacon and egg salad into a serving bowl.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s Vanjo’s video demo of the recipe.